Into the Light – 100 Word Flash Fiction

Katrina didn’t have much time before the doctor returned. Finding the secret had changed her life forever.  She crept out of the darkness into the shaft of light risking everything. He had hidden it in a drawer of his black enamel desk.

The vial lay among others, but only one held the azure liquid. She snatched the concoction and unscrewed the stopper. She squeezed two of the precious drops under her tongue. It felt warm and alive as it hit her bloodstream. She replaced the bottle before the weightless sensation took over.

Katrina slipped through the prismatic plane and into his arms.

Where would you escape to if you could go anywhere?

Photo by Madison Woods

Check out other 100 word posts in the comment section at http://madisonwoods.wordpress.com/flash-fiction/placeholder/

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Into the Light – 100 Word Flash Fiction

This was before my time… but, you can always tell a Madison Photo… It looks like you took this one. Intriguing story, begging lots of questions. Liked the description of the desk…

2. susielindau says:

I am so sorry I missed your comment!
    I never saw that movie, but it sounds amazing! The ending was left open for interpretation, but I think of Katrina as landing in a very happy place!
    Thanks for stopping by!

3. the master says:

If I could slip away anywhere, it would be into a living manifestation of my own imagination, kinda like that Jennifer Lopez movie The Cell, only not creepy or pretentious. I’ve had only one brief experience with lucid dreaming, but it was such a cool experience and left me wanting more. If that’s where Katrina is, I envy her.

4. susielindau says:

Thanks Kd! I find these Friday Flash Fictions to be great practice in editing.

5. kd sullivan says:

You say so much with so few words here. Well done!

6. iamscotia says:

Somewhere warm and isolated, where I could soak up the pleasures of the natural world while finding out who I am.

7. I think I’d head to this beautiful spot in the Dominican Republic…quiet, peaceful and more colorful than any other place I’ve seen. But shhh…Don’t tell! ;)

8. susielindau says:

You would soar in either place!

Anywhere? Either the DC or Marvel Universes, of course!

10. You are like the Queen of book hooks. I want to read the rest of this, dagnabit.

As to where I’d like to escape? I need a sunny spot and beach. And it needs to be very, very hot. I want to go to there. Now. ;-)

11. Anonymous says:

That’s a great story starter. You’ve got me hooked and hungry for more.

12. Interesting. Wonder what was in that vial! Wonder where she went?

13. I’m going to have to think about this one for a while…very thought provoking piece this week!

PS – The Big Island of Hawaii (Hilo side near Volcano)

14. Madison Woods says:

Oh I really liked that! Very nice.

15. This is the kind of short that makes you think way beyond the 100 word limit. Hmmmm. Thanks for the morning mystery.

16. Jan Morrill says:

Ooh. I felt myself slipping away with Katrina. And if I could slip away to anywhere, it would certainly be to a beach, where the ocean whispered sweet nothings to me. Good post, Susie!

17. See! That is great, mysterious and sensuous at the same time.
    You would be perfect to add a chapter – or a few paragraphs to fiction victim – The Dream House. Please join in with us at http://fictionvictim.blogspot.com
    Pretty Please? I am afraid to write the next chapter. I want someone else to take it next!
    Laura Lindaura

18. Very mysterious. I’ll have to come back after I finish my coffee to see if my muddled mind can decipher more of it. Nicely done.

Thanks so much Craig! I was going for a mystery. Was she escaping in her mind or with her body too? If I expanded on this I would go with the whole supernatural experience and have her disappear!

19. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Susie,

So many questions remain in Katrina’s absence, the answers to which we’ll never know, but what is certain is the joy we feel as she “steps through the prismatic plane and into his arms.”

I want what she had but imagine that reading good writing like yours is the closest I’ll ever get to it.

(Loved the Magical Mystery Tour, too. Thanks.)

Aloha,