The Christmas Wish – 250 Word Flash Fiction

As Carol scrawled her signature inside the Thomas Kincade Christmas card, a chill sent a shiver like the touch of a cold fingertip along her spine. She buttoned her red cardigan and folded the greeting card. While studying the picture of the artist’s painting, Carol smiled at the warm glow emanating like amber from the windows of the cottage nestled in the snow. She imagined the home filled with friends and family. She glanced through the window above her desk at the dense fog and ice collecting on the gnarled oak trees. Her heart ached with the familiar sense of loss. “I miss you John.” She looked around her dreary home once filled with life, regretting her decision to skip decorating this year, but what was the point.

She slipped the card into the envelope and a single tear slid down her soft wrinkled cheek. “I wish…” Her shoulders slumped and Carol began to sob.

Suddenly a flickering light reflected in the window caught her attention. She spun around and a warm roaring fire glowed in the gas fireplace. Silent Night began playing on the radio.

“What the…?” Carol sprung from her chair and as she approached the hearth she heard the doorbell. She wiped the tears from her face, turned the brass knob, and opened the front door.

“Surprise Grandma!” Carol’s three grandchildren, her daughter and son-in-law stood in the snow on the front doorstep.

“I’m glad you’re here too John.” Carol thought as she looked up and smiled.

Is there someone you wish you could visit during the holidays?

Thomas Kincade photo of painting by wallpapers-free.co.uk

About Susie Lindau

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to The Christmas Wish – 250 Word Flash Fiction

1. Pingback: A Priceless Gift and Holiday Spirit | Random Thoughts

2. Yatin says:

So nicely worded. Holidays are all about spirits, celebrating with loved ones with spirit and feeling the missed ones in spirit.

3. willofheart says:

this is a sweet and touchy story , I miss my mom now….

4. I’ve just found your blog through c… another great writer! I’m looking forward to perusing more of your posts:)

5. susielindau says:

Thanks Bits! I hope you will stop again!

6. A very sweet story, and a lovely song…they both embody the spirit of Christmas.

7. Kara says:

Beautiful story and beautiful song:) Thank you so much for sharing. I miss family most at Christmas, that is why I am treasuring this first Christmas with ALL our family on both sides!

8. ceciliag says:

I loved the red cardigan, it said so much in one movement.. hmm.. very cool.. c

9. What a touching, well written story. I wish I could write short stories as well as you do but I had trouble telling a story in 2,500 words. I think that’s a skill I need to work on a little more because I do enjoy your blog. :)

10. susielindau says:

Thanks August!
    It can be a bittersweet holiday as we lose the ones we love. I hope you blog about them and include the recipe!

11. Lovely post, Susie! I miss my grandma and granddad particularly this holiday season. Planning to honor their memories with words, thoughts and baking (my grandma’s famous cardamom bread).

12. I think the last line really completes this story. I also like the happy ending and although you kind of hinted at it with the opening images of amber warmth, it’s uncertain until the end how it will turn out.

13. JOnKEnna says:

I really admire people who can write good short fiction like this. There’s such an art to that. When I was writing my book I struggled to cram my story into 400 pages!!! I actually ended up splitting it into 2 books (parts 1 & 2; part 2 out hopefully next year).

14. Merry Christmas Susie. thanks for a good story. I often feel my grandfather around at Christmas – he loved that holiday.

15. Your story glowed with life just like a Kinkade painting! I enjoyed reading it…
    ~Susan

Only those who have departed this mortal plane.

17. Julie says:

You are right. This did make me smile. Great story!

18. Coleen Patrick says:

Love it! That sums up so much of what holidays mean to me–family, love, magic, etc :)

19. Anonymous says:

Very touching story, Susie. I can see you’ve touched a lot of your followers with it too. I’m fortunate in that the one I’ll be missing this season is only away at work, not for good.

20. susielindau says:

Oh Rich I am sorry to hear about your daughter. Filling those aches become a big part of life. I think we appreciate each day more fully!

21. I did something wrong. the post at 10:14 posted as anonymous.

22. Anonymous says:

Susie, my general impression is one of warmth and longing. Longing for those who we can’t see again in this life, especially for my lost daughter Amy who will forever be 19.

Thanks again for touching my heart and helping us appreciate those with whom we can still share our love and joy.

23. timlobrien says:

I really enjoy reading these. You are such a talented writer. This one is my favorite so far. Great job!

24. Anonymous says:

This brought tears of empathy to my eyes. I always make sure my mother, now in her mid-80’s, is a part of my family’s life every day. I call her for advice (though I don’t need it, but it makes her feel involved), and I consult her on Christmas each year, planning the menu and coming out to our place, her arms laden with baking. LOL. She enjoys that part.

25. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Susie,

Christmas is such an emotional time. Your story made me cry. Best compliment I can give. Thanks.

Aloha,

Doug

26. lightbox3d says:

Very nice Susie. This story REALLY hits home for me. My father-in-law passed away this summer, and it will be a very emotionally challenging holiday season for my family.

Awww, I am missing someone right now and I wish I could see him before the year is over… :-(

28. Wonderful story as usual, Susie. I hope you have a fun-filled family-filled Christmas!

29. I wish that would happen..:(
    I just hope my kids are all fine.
    Love you Susie..