Into the Vortex – 100 Word Flash Fiction

Traxin applied more pressure to the steering column as the ship’s vibration increased to an incessant shuddering which made his gray head rattle on the end of his long ringed neck. “I hate this place. It smells and there are too many life forms creating constant turbulence.” He stared through the small portal at the menacing bright-colored shapes and swerved around the erratic entities.

~

“Whoa. Babe! It’s time! 10, 9, 8. What the Hell?” John swatted at the moving object and sent it spiraling into space.

The dazzling illuminated ball fell as shouts rang out across the square.

“Happy New Year!”

~~~

If you look carefully, you will see Traxin fly across the screen!

What are your New Year’s Eve plans?

For other 100 word posts, check them out in the comment section at http://madisonwoods.wordpress.com/

Photo by http://www.nanodeltech.com/

This entry was posted in Fiction, Humor and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Into the Vortex – 100 Word Flash Fiction

1. Norv says:

Oh, I enjoyed this so much! I can hardly believe how cool it was from the two points of view, and I really laughed, I wasn’t prepared for something like this!

(… no… horror story? :D I know there’s a sequel to this though… heading over there.)

2. Nice, I bookmarked this page on Digg under “Into the Vortex – 100 Word Flash Fiction | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride”. So hopefully our friends can give you a visit. Kudos for content!

3. Pingback: So Close and Yet – 100 Word Flash Fiction | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

4. susielindau says:

Raburcke – it is, of some kind. If you click on the photo you will get the link to the “way over my head” site! Hahaha!
    Thank you so much!

5. raburcke says:

What’s that, a nanobot? I loved the two stories!

6. Pingback: Crashing – 100 Word Flash Fiction | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

7. susielindau says:

Ah Ha! You are Plaid Oak! Awesome! I will check out that Tweeter.

8. mab001 says:

This is great! I don’t know if you twitter, but there is a twitterer by committee called @MicroLore which does flash fiction, as well. I enjoy the challenge and the quick jolt of the imagination.

Thank you for liking some of my photos on plaidoak.com, by the way. I appreciate it!

9. Barb says:

Flash is difficult. You’ve got the flare. I especially like the red of the traxin. Nice job.

10. susielindau says:

Thanks Hook for stopping by again!

This was even better the second time around!

12. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

A wonderful 100 words :) And the video, omg, it’s all just so new, so fresh, 2012. Caught you on The Hook’s page & thought I’d drop in. Happy New Year to you! I admire anyone who can say anything in just 100 words!!

13. susielindau says:

I really enjoyed it!
    Thank you Lance!

14. Lance says:

I liked how you captured the anticipation of the moment. Excellent descriptions in so few words. I liked it.

15. hotlyspiced says:

Spending a NYE in New York and watching that ball go down is on my list of ‘must-do’ experiences. Maybe this year! Happy New Year.

16. granny1947 says:

Thank you for the visit…I see so many familiar faces here!

17. susielindau says:

Thank you Jan! Happy New Year to you too!

18. janmorrill says:

Good one, Susie! I really like how you worked New Year’s into it. Happy New Year to you!

19. winsomebella says:

Great post–lots in so few words. Thanks and best to you in 2012. Look forward to following along with you…..

Awesome – as usual, Susie! Enjoy the New Year celebration!

21. susielindau says:

Too Late! But there’s always next week!
    Hey who are all those people that were voting and voted for? Never mind! I found him! I have some catching up to do!!

22. sonsothunder says:

Flash? Friday? Fiction? Sounds Freakin Fabulous…what’s today?

23. sonsothunder says:

So, you know about Syd Barrett? Oh, and by the way…Which one is Pink?

24. sonsothunder says:

Wow, Traxin must be one of those bionic African mosquitoes that blew in here on the back of Hurricane Floyd back in 99. One of them bored an 8th inch hole in the driver door of my pickup truck. Great story.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    paul

25. Quill Shiv says:

It was refreshing to read from the POV from the bug. And quite fun to have NYE worked in as well. Great job and Happy New Year!

This is the link to my drabble for the week: http://quillshiv.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/thetiniestspy/

26. Ooh, Traxin sounds dangerous!

Have a lovely weekend Susie! Thank you for your kind RT’s and blog love. And I will see you around in 2012! :)

27. eliserae says:

So many of these were horror and creepy, I liked this one. I needed a laugh! :)

~Elise

28. Happy New Year, susie. I intend to be with my kids, tippling a glass of wine. Or sound asleep in my bed…time will tell

29. susielindau says:

Thanks Mommywriter and for following my blog!! You Rock!!

30. mommywritervkent says:

Great flash fiction! Look forward to reading more!

31. parul says:

A very different way of looking at the image!
    And love the way you link it with the new year!
    Well done and wishes for a happy new year! :)

32. What an awful time for Traxin to be making a landing at Times Square! That was a cute story and I also liked how you fit the theme to the New Year :)

33. susielindau says:

Thanks Siobhan! I am glad you appreciate my sense of humor!

34. Ah, you’ve done it again, Susie:-) Even the Title draws the reader into this one! You set it up for the launch I see.

Good Job, Again!

35. Siobhan Muir says:

Terrific story, Susie! I laughed at both perspectives. Well done. :)

36. So *that’s* why we’ve not spotted them before now! To tell a complete story in a hundred words is not easy – well done :-)

37. susielindau says:

Thanks Linda!
    I wish the very best for you and yours.
    Love you too!

38. You know I wish we could all start or or have the chance. May this year be filled with nothing but joy to you and your family.
    Love you

39. Brilliant flash fiction Susie. Love how it linked in with New Year and watching that video makes me even more excited for the New Year. Hope yours is wonderful, I’m so glad I discovered you through #mywana this year. Best, Catherine

40. kbnelson says:

Clever to work in the change of new year – love the alternate viewpoint!

41. Happy New Year, Susie! I didn’t see Traxin, but then I was too busy searching for him that I probably did see him, just looked past him. Cute story!

42. susielindau says:

Thanks Russell! I am so glad you came by!

43. Russell says:

Like Doug, I too enjoyed the way you worked New Year’s Eve into the story. What fun!

44. Mike says:

A great story – made me smile.
    Traxin certainly chose the wrong time to come visiting.

45. susielindau says:

Thank you Doug!! That means a lot to me.
    Happy New Year to you!

46. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Susie,

This story is one of my favorites so far. Well imagined and rendered. (And Happy New Year to you, too.) I loved how you worked an end of year theme into the piece. Well done.

Aloha,

Doug

I don’t know, but over here we have quite some aerodynamic mosquitoes that look like the one on the picture.

Happy New Year!

48. beauty…loved the video too

49. Great Flash Fiction. I watched the video. Not sure if I saw Traxin, but I may have!
    The video brought happy tears to my eyes. There is something exhilarating about starting over.
    My New Year’s plans involve writing, coffee and lots of potato chips.

Happy New Year, Susie. :)