Defying Temptation – 100 Word Flash Fiction

Jason veered off the narrow path through the frozen forest while calculating the many risks involved. Fresh air cleared his aching head. “I can do it.”

The snow stung his cold cheeks as he struggled to keep himself upright. Beetle ravaged Lodgepole pine branches tore at his sleeves, but he forced his way through. Darkness closed in around him. His heart began to race.

The mountain sloped downward and he picked up speed. A light beckoned as he broke through the dense evergreens. Jason launched himself up into the air  temporarily suspending time and then he landed a perfect 720!

When was the last time you took a chance?

Are you an adrenaline rush junkie?

For other 100 word flash fiction authors, check out Madison Wood’s blog

I am hosting The Fictioneers next week!

This entry was posted in Fiction, Sports and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Defying Temptation – 100 Word Flash Fiction

1. Hey! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

2. susielindau says:

Thanks Lime!
    I was afraid that more readers may miss the inference that he was snowboarding or skiing. It would be hard to make the leap if you didn’t know what a 720 was. (Pun intended – Hahaha!)

3. The Lime says:

I like it. You lead one way and then the next, and I was so pleased to feel the 720 at the end. Great use of tension.

4. susielindau says:

Thanks so much Lou! There many more to come!

5. loustar02 says:

Great post – felt I was right there with him feeling the cold. Looking forward to checking out more of your stories!

6. Well this 100 words sure did it’s job! I felt an agonizing moment of terror before I realized it wasn’t me on the bike.. whew!!

7. susielindau says:

Thanks Parul! I am so glad you came by to read!

8. parul says:

That’s a lot in 100 words!
    Gave quite a rush..
    When was the last time I took a chance… Don’t remember really…
    Has got me thinking!
    Thanks for sharing this… :)

9. dmmacilroy says:

Hi Susie,

Thank you for hosting next week. Your story made me want to go outside and do a 360. (I’ll work my way up to higher math later.) Enjoy your heli-skiing trip.

Aloha,

Doug

Everyone is asleep now and there’s four more minutes left in my Friday. A link to my lateness. http://ironwoodwind.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/a-womans-vows/

Just a little bit, little bit. :D Love this song! Great piece of fiction Susie. Looking forward to next week.

11. Yatin says:

Never imagined that 100 words can bring adrenaline rush in me! Thrilling read.
    I was adrenaline rush junkie during my college days. Used to get one riding two wheelers Now I am super careful even driving my four wheeler.
    When was the last time I took a chance? – I got married. Stopped taking chances after that.

12. Well crafted. You can feel the speed.

Here’s mine: http://wp.me/s1Tjpv-cassie

13. Julie says:

Cool! I want to be Jason. Of course we need more snow before there’ll be any glade skiing going on.

14. Russell says:

I used to enjoy high-speed activities, but now I’m more of a woosie. Father time has a way of making injuries more painful and longer to heal.

But I could feel the wind and snowflakes splattering against my frozen cheeks. Good story.

15. I “saw” the dark and the light as your story progressed…great job! But, if I may be honest…I hate to criticize…but I think there are a few unnecessary adverbs. That’s just my opinion, of course…

16. Another wild ride! I like they way you challenge the reader at the end. It’s very easy to slip into a safe, complacent life. If you don’t hear from me again it’s because I’m answering your call to do something crazy! Thanks for hosting next week.
    Here’s mine: http://bridgesareforburning.wordpress.com/

17. susielindau says:

Very cool! That must have been a rush!

I was right there on the skis… well, I did cross gender lines 8.5 years ago…

19. K.D. McCrite says:

I felt the cold and the excitement in this. You did a great job!

Here’s my offering this week: http://sweettea.kdmccrite.com/flash-fiction-3/his-way

20. The only rush I have is when I write. I am no sports fan:(
    But I felt his power in those brief words.
    Well done Susie..
    HUGGGGGGGGG

21. Angelia Sims says:

Nice! I definitely felt the surge he had. And I love that Lenny Kravitz song.

I used to be an adrenaline junkie….. Then, I got old and scared of heights. :-/

22. A good evocation, I think, of something I don’t have any experience of. What’s a 720?

23. I felt right at home after reading this yes i am an adrenaline rush junkie…trekking, rock climbing, jumping into cold water from heights, bike racing ooh have done my bit it kinda makes me alive the rush, the sensation ..love it

24. susielindau says:

Thanks Louise! I hope you had a safe landing!

25. nice — my tummy was fluttering with adrenaline. well done.

This gave me a nice adrenaline rush! Thanks, Susie!

27. magsx2 says:

Hi,
    Well written, I enjoyed the read.
    I’m not an adrenaline rush junkie, for 2 reasons.
    1. I’m a bit of a coward.
    2. I’m now a bit too old to worry about it. :D

28. susielindau says:

Thanks Jan! You have a big job today!!

29. Jan Morrill says:

I definitely felt the adrenaline! Good imagery all the way through that bitter-cold forest. Glad it ended well. :)