Without a Doubt? 100 Word Flash Fiction

While Jane examined her reflection in the mirror, panic slapped her perfect, oval face. Her heart raced with the rush of adrenaline. She took the elevator to the lobby and walked across the street.

After checking through security, Jane stopped to take a deep breath before turning the doorknob and entering the vortex.  Caught in a whirlwind of activity, ravenous wolves descended on her while stroking her ego and giving last minute instructions. The air was cool, yet heat rose from her body as her cold hands trembled.

After finding her mark, Jane gazed at the waiting crowd and said, “Live from New York, It’s Saturday Night!”

~~~

Earlier this week I posted how blogging is like theater. I feel like Jane every time I press publish. To read “It’s Show Time,” click HERE.

Do you get nervous when you post?

What really makes you sweat?

Other Flash Fiction from the Friday Fictioneers

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to Without a Doubt? 100 Word Flash Fiction

1. nyparrot says:

I am very new to blogging, and to me it’s like a Diary Book I never had… except you invite the whole world to read it:-)

Great work, Susie! But what else should I expect from you by now?

3. Yatin says:

Even with 100 words your fiction manage to grip the readers. You last line usually comes as a surprise!
    btw: who’s that Jane in the mirror?

4. I get a little nervous when I press “Publish”. However, the worst time for me is the next day about 10AM, when I run “stats”. That’s the time when readers have had about 12 hours to look over and see if what I did was “good” for them. I write for me, but I publish for them. They (read that “all of you”) help me to keep on keeping on. If no one ever viewed, liked, or commented, I don’t know if I could keep up the pace this blog, sometimes, requires. I enjoy reading the posts of others, but, let’s just all admit, we love see ours be “successful”. That’s not a bad thing; it’s just the truth. Your posts are, of course, one of those I read!

I am so glad Scott! Thank you! I agree with your point and also hold my breath when viewing stats. I am always studying what interests the readers. You keep me going too!

5. hiyacynthia says:

I don’t get nervous anymore. When I first started the blog, I was a little nervous, but with many successful posts and response at about 98% positive, what am I supposed to fear? I think the feeling I have is more “What could happen this time?” than nerves. I’m sure the SNL stage might bring out the nerves though!

Can you imagine those nerves? I don’t think they practice a lot either so you would just have to go for it! I am not sure that I will ever get used to the “hitting publish” nerves, so I am sure when I actually publish my first book, I will really be shaking!

6. I don’t feel nervous, but hopeful that I do not let my followers and new readers down. It is exciting to know that people will be reading things I have written!

That is the best feeling!
      I think some of my nervousness comes from the fear that I have made an error and missed the typo. I hate it when that happens! Thanks for coming by to read Cindy!

7. I usually get nervous about posting. That this is the one everyone hates, that there’s rampant typos, that I said something just wildly wrong and a few hundred people will see it before I catch it…

That is the same fear I have! One time, a reader completely rewrote my flash fiction. Of course it was the one I was soooo nervous to post. “A Sexercise for My Book.” His rewrite was so long it ended up in my spam file. KARMA!

I totally didn’t see that one coming! Well played. Or should I say written? :D

9. Many things come to mind when I think about what makes me sweat and the main one is being in a big group of strangers. Have a Great Weekend:)

10. The original meaning of the term “adrenaline rush” MUST have been derived from the term “publish button!”

11. rich says:

had me completely fooled. is jane a specific actor, or just a random name?

I am so glad! Jane is a random name that popped into my head yesterday. One of the readers mentioned it would be great if Jane Fonda hosted! I agree! Thanks Rich!

12. Gary says:

Haha, I love the description of ravenous wolves to mean the clamouring press, make-up artists and agents, etc. Brilliant.

As for posting, I do get awful nervous when hitting the “publish” button. I’m naturally uncertain though. :)

You got it Gary! That is exactly what I meant. Thank you so much!
      I still get nervous after a year of blogging. I don’t think I will ever get over that feeling!

13. Excellent as always.

I do get that feeling when I publish something. That rush of creating something and hoping others will respond in a positive way–nothing like it.

Thanks Darla! That means a lot!
      My hands get sweaty and my heart starts pounding. It is so silly and yet I think my biggest fear is no one will read it or I will have typo. Yikes! Anything but that!

• I know the feeling. I usually have loads of typos and will go back and edit it later. It wasn’t too long ago when I was posting and truly no one was reading it. I’d have zero comments and no likes but I kept at it because it’s just good to get it out there no matter what.

The best use of 100 words I’ve read in a long time. For me hitting the publish button is like sending a idea out into the ether and hoping somebody will read it. If someone has a new idea that either reenforces a belief or gets them angry, I’m happy.

15. gojulesgo says:

Very cool! Love that ending.

I definitely get that little thrill every time I hit ‘publish’ – and just hope I haven’t made too many typos (I try to proofread at least 5-6 times first, and sometimes have the hub take a look)!

You’re so good.

17. That was a real switch at the end! A total surprise! How did you ever think of that?! PS – thanks for the tweet!

~Susan (www.susanwenzel.com)

18. Tag, you are it! Come over to my blog and play!

19. “LIVE FROM NEW YORK IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT!” I just kept hearing that exaggerated in my head, swirling in circles. Love that ending. So unexpected and cheering in tone.

I actually came up with the ending first and worked backwards which was the opposite for me, but with my theater theme, I thought it worked. Thanks! I will be over to read!

20. Well done! I loved the ending – so unexpected! I’m sure it is very much like that for the folks that are doing any kind of show :) http://theforgottenwife.com/2012/05/17/friday-fictioneers-2/

I would think they go through those nerves especially if guest hosting for the first time! Charles Barkley gets soooooo nervous. He is hard to watch!
      Thanks so much!

21. Judee says:

This was so clever, and unexpected. Well done!

22. Sandra says:

A good one, caught me out there, I wasn’t expecting that ending. Well done.

Mine: http://castelsarrasin.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/pursuit-friday-fictioneers-may-2012/

23. I had to read twice to know that the wolves are not real ones. Well done. Mine is here: http://readinpleasure.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/friday-fictioneers-sinking-low/

Wow… That couldn’t be more perfect. I mean it! I was expecting a Virgin Sacrifice, or something.

25. Excellent Susie! This makes me wish that Jane Fonda would host SNL.

Har! They should have you on as a guest host. You and Alec Baldwin, throwing out amusing zingers.

27. rgayer55 says:

I played in rock & blues band for a good number of years. There was alway a certain amount of anxiety before a big show, but that’ what made it worth doing. Without the anxiety there was no adrenaline and the performance was flat. This is a well written piece. Thanks for the ride.

mine’s here http://russellgayer.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much Russell!
      I think you are right about adrenaline. I play tennis and if I am too relaxed, I get creamed! There is a point though where too much keeps me from playing my game. The trick is having the perfect amount.
      Thanks for stopping by to read!

28. I used to sweat it now I just write and that is that. My son makes me sweat as he is always in trouble and I can sense it a zillion miles away..:)

29. Ooh… Another spine tingler. Fun stuff, Susie! I’ve definitely had my palms sweat a bit at the “publish now” point. A bit of giddy anxiousness can be a good thing, I think. It’s often a sign we’ve written something compelling. Unless we’re sweating due due to sloppy writing or lack or readiness. ;)

There are all different reasons for being nervous. I am always nervous about finding typos after I blog which I did today! Oher instead of Other. Oh well! At least I found it right away…..
      Thanks August!

30. Oh brilliant Susie ,didnt see that coming…loved the twist :)

31. Well done.. I had to keep reading to discover where she was and who those wolves are.. hopefully blogging doesn’t have wolves:) I panic when performing in orchestra.. and I lose my page..

32. Brilliant twist, I love the ravenous wolves!

33. haha!! Wasn’t expecting that ending.. well done!