Lurking in Darkness – 150 Word Flash Fiction

He had watched her for days.

Sheila crouched over her rose garden, preoccupied with the snipping of dead blossoms. She stood and stretched while running her hands along her lower back.

He slipped behind a tree as she crossed the yard.

After laying the shears on the garage workbench, she stepped inside the house.

He followed.

After taking a shower, Sheila dried herself and then stopped. She peeked into the bedroom. After a moment, she returned to the bathroom and dressed.

He watched from the dark hallway. Saliva accumulated at the corners of his mouth.

“I need to lie down.” She slipped under the covers.

It was time.

He lunged onto the bed.

She bolted upright and gasped.

He growled and bared his teeth.

Pulling the sheet up around her neck, she scanned the empty room. “Is that you Max? It can’t be!” She whispered her last words, “You’re dead.”

~~~~~

When I was writing my Oh Thrill Me Baby post, I called my sister Patty to see if I’d missed any creepy films. She mentioned Pet Sematary. I have never seen that movie based on Stephen King’s novel, but it inspired me to write this!

Stop by my last post with a link and Use Me and Abuse Me over the weekend! The party is still rollin’ and there are lots of new bloggers to meet!

Do you believe that a person can be harmed from something or someone beyond the grave?

About Susie Lindau

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Lurking in Darkness – 150 Word Flash Fiction

1. Pingback: Tall Tale Tuesday: Up From The Grave « Ellie Ann

I knew it was a dog!

3. Whoa! That’s intriguing!!

4. Even darker than your camping story.

5. lynnkelleyauthor says:

Well done, Susie, but scary! I can’t watch Pet Cemetery. Too chicken!

6. B. L. Crisp says:

Quite spooky indeed!

7. EllieAnn says:

So creepy and well written! I always enjoy it when you flash me. Er…um, I mean I enjoy your flash fiction. ;)

8. I love your flash fiction pieces. They always leave me asking more questions. This one got me at ‘her last word’. Does that mean she died? Very cool!

I totally read that last line wrong, until you mentioned “Pet Sematary.” That changed the whole thing for me, and I had to reread it. Then it gave me a chill. Freaky, girl!

Creepy! One movie and novel you couldn’t pay me enough to see or read would be Pet Sematary. Yup, total wimp.

Danny and I watched Misery again last night. I can see why Kathy Bates won an Oscar for best actress! She was so sweet and so diabolical! I want to read Pet Sematary! I love being creeped out in October!
      Thanks Nelle!

*peers out from under the bed* Safe to come out, yet?
    I don’t think physical harm is possible, but it might well be that if one has a weak heart they can scare one to death!

12. Brinda Berry says:

My dogs would probably lick me to death. I can’t imagine them harming me, but your setup is pretty spooky.

13. Exquisite Torture. I had to turn on more lights!

14. Julie Catherine says:

Awesome write, Susie! I was expecting the dog, but the twist in the ending still got me! LOL! :)

15. Excellent! I remember reading Pet Cemetery and being scared…one would think I would just put the book down…but no.

16. Loving Flash Fiction today – I can say I have had a ghost experience – spooky but she was a friendly ghost. Happy Friday:)

Well that’s a relief! Lately, mine have only been noise makers; mostly banging on dressers. So much better than seeing someone staring at me from the foot of my bed….
      Thanks Renee!

17. journalpulp says:

That was good, one of your very best flash-fictions yet.

Wow! That is a scary piece. You got all sorts of horror in that one. Great job!

I was spending the first night away from my soon to be ex-girlfriend. I had borrowed two books from her. Emily Dickinson’s poems and Pet Sematary. I read the poems and started Pet Sematary. I read til early morning and was enraptured by the story when the Willimantic to Boston train crossed the trestle that was near my back door and blew its whistle. After I got down from the ceiling I changed underwear and finished the book. You’re a fine flasher.

Hahahaah! Oh my gosh! That sounds like the book had you glued, or is it unglued????
      Kindred Spirit suggested I don’t watch the movie, but read the book.
      When I started “It,” by Stephen King, I began to have nightmares and couldn’t sleep. I never finished “it.”
      The movie was terrible in my opinion.
      Thanks for sharing Tom!

20. You are the mistress of these sonnets as I call them..:)
    Well done..
    HUGGGGGGGGGGGG

21. timethief says:

Woo hoo! I love these little wild rides. You are an exceptional flasher. ;)

Haven’t seen a flash fiction from you in a while.
    Good one!

23. Please, I don’t request this often, but READ “Pet Cemetery” don’t watch the movie! The movie is horrible (I know, just my opinion.). The book was spellbinding.

24. Now, that was a wild ride! It was scary enough when I thought “he” was a living, human stalker. Worse when it began to sound more as if he’s a vicious dog – who can’t possibly be reasoned with. But the ghost of a vicious dog?! That’s definitely horror. Good job.

25. As usual, you’re giving more good flash Susie. I have the distinct impression that back from the dead Max is not a chihuahua.

Thanks so much V!
      Hahaha! Yep. Not so much. I was thinking Great Dane/Rottweiler/Mastiff mix.
      By the way, he likes to be scratched behind his left ear. NO! LEFT EAR! HIS LEFT! NOOOOOOOOooooo……

26. Awh super as always, Susie! I am so not watching that, I love dogs. There are some vicious sounding dogs around the corner who have just moved in, I’m keeping my eye on them ;)

27. In the creatively sneaky ploy to avoid a novella masquerading as a comment, I’m dipping in for a twofer. On the pet cemetery topic:

There was a DJ in Cincinnati (I used to travel there on my job) who made insane calls in the mornings to real businesses. One morning, he called a pet cemetery and asked the receptionist about pricing to bury his….

Wait for it….(suspense)

recently deceased Ant Farm pets. Then, he started naming them.
    TOTALLY hysterical.

Hahahahaaha! …and there’s poor little Jimmy John…sniff… and….old hairy Larry …. sniff…
      That must have been hysterical! I wonder if it is recorded somewhere…. :)

28. The chick sitting in the theater with her hands over her eyes? Taking an occasional peek? Choking to scream, “You idiot!!!! Stinky is fine! Do NOT get in that shower!”

Totally me.

Hey, Susie. I love this Flash Fiction Friday gig. How does one get in the loop for it?

I just write them and find a photo. Sometimes I jump into the Flash Fictioneers on Madison-Woods.com and use her prompt.
      Because I am getting into photography, I am using my own photos more often.
      If you decide to write one, you are welcome to post the link in my comment section!

I am about to go to bed and I’m all alone in a creaky old farmhouse so I shouldn’t have read this until tomorrow – argh!

Ahhahaha! It makes me wonder about people who have put their dogs down when they were vicious….
      Yesterday when I wrote it, the house kept making popping noises from the strangest places. Our house is totally haunted!
      Sweet dreams!

I never saw pet cemetery! You must know by now I’m afraid of the dark, but not afraid to confront it. When I’ve the time I shall write something scarrrry. hee hee. Big things today :)

31. sfbell09 says:

Great piece. I was expecting a light and fluffy ending :) Silly me!

32. OMG :shock:
    i love reading/watching thriller/horror ..this one is a big Wow..
    the whole idea of someone watching you gives me creeps…
    i truly believe in the powers of spirit world..never seen but still do..