Get Your Red On and Get Recognized On the Wild Ride

my heartI had heart surgery. Yep. It will be three years ago this April. My heart condition was congenital. My father has congestive heart failure from contracting rheumatic fever while in the Air Force. We all know someone affected by heart disease.

On Friday, February 1st, the American Heart Association is asking everyone to wear red!

February is associated with hearts and flowers as Valentine’s Day quickly approaches, but it is also the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women Month. They are working hard to spread awareness and raise money for the cause. It is difficult when competing against major corporations like the Komen Foundation.

I created a site where you can contribute any amount to the American Heart Association. Click here to view page. Email me at susielindau@gmail.com and I will add your link to the Go Red for Women Contributors blogroll for the month!

Heart disease is women’s number one killer, but most think they are more likely to die of breast cancer which will kill 1 in every 31 women. Heart disease will kill 1 in 3!

More women will die from heart disease than men this year.

Only 20% of women are aware that heart disease is their greatest risk for death.

PLEASE watch this video. It is hilarious and you’ll learn something too!

My story:

The first time my 13-year-old heart raced, I was vacationing with my family in Florida. I thought I was dying, but my mom assured me that the accelerated beat that didn’t last very long was normal. It was my first heart palpitation.

Many years later, I gave birth to my son Kelly. Four hours later, I woke up as my chest heaved and my heart rate slammed away at an alarming and rhythmic pace of over 200 beats per minute. This was not a simple heart palpitation. An elephant seemed to be sitting on my chest which rose and fell with each beat. My neck felt constricted. Doctors and nurses descended on me. They thought I was having a heart attack. After sliding me onto a gurney, they raced me from the comfort of the maternity ward up to the cardiac care unit. A shot of adenosine stopped my heart. I felt this lovely rush and relief when it resumed its normal quiet pace after a couple of seconds.

I hadn’t experienced a heart attack, but had my first PVST.  Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia. They sent me home with 6 months of pills to reduce my heart rate.

PVST’s sent me to the emergency room several times after my daughter Courtney was born. They began while I slept.

I gave up caffeine and chocolate. One ER doctor told me not to drink alcohol. For many years I stayed away from these triggers. As my kids grew older, they finally reduced to the small flutters I had on the beach while on vacation as a teen.

I could manage the heart palpitations by dropping my head between my legs, holding my breath while bearing down, and then pressing on my carotid arteries on either side of my neck. When whipping my head back up again, I could break the palpitation’s rhythm.

Three years ago, I woke up in Breckenridge with a nasty PVST once again. The technique didn’t work with this monster beat. While Danny worked on his computer, I felt like I was dying. I tried to get his attention, but thought I would pass out and went back to bed. After two hours, I felt nauseous. Fear of having a heart attack propelled me to walk the 50 feet to get Danny’s attention again.

He rushed me to Urgent Care. The ER doctor would not give me the adenosine even though I pleaded, assuring him it wouldn’t kill me. Instead he used the old-fashioned techniques along with placing my face in pan of snow. After 4 hours of my heart racing over 200 beats per minute, the rapid rhythm stopped.

“You know, you don’t have to live like this,” he said as I felt the relief of normal rhythm along with a very achy heart.

That got my attention. I learned that laser surgery could solve my problem. Later in the month, I’ll continue my story.

In the meantime, Get your RED ON!

The following information could be life saving.

Symptoms of a heart attack from the AMA:

• Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
  • Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
  • Shortness of breath, with or without chest discomfort.
  • Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.

Symptoms that you may be having a stroke from the AMA:

Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body

Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding

Sudden trouble seeing or blurred vision in one or both eyes

Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination

Sudden severe headache with no known cause

This is great way to check for signs of stroke:

Signs of Stroke:

Face: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?

Arms: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

Speech: Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is their speech slurred or strange?

If you observe any of these signs, call 9-1-1 immediately. Receiving medical attention in the first 3 hours of a stroke can reduce long-term disability.

Each year more women die from cardiovascular disease and heart attacks than men. It is still viewed at as a man’s disease. Women are ten times more likely to die from cardiovascular disease and heart attacks than breast cancer.

Click here to donate to Go Red For Women and I’ll add your link to my blogroll!

Now get your red on and spread the news!

Were you surprised by these facts?

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Life, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

142 Responses to Get Your Red On and Get Recognized On the Wild Ride

1. Pingback: The Boob Report – Roadblocks and U-Turns | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

2. Teeny Bikini says:

Thanks so much for sharing. This is an important story…

3. Darn, the screen froze up and I lost my comment. You’ve been through some scary experiences, Susie. I’m so glad you had surgery and are doing better. I know too many people with heart problems and too many who didn’t survive. Take care of yourself.

Thanks so much Lynn! I am great now, although I don’t like to think about scar tissue in my heart. So I try to eat well and exercise. I really wanted to get the word out since so many women have mammograms, but are not tested for heart disease.
      You take care of yourself too my friend!

4. How scary, Susie. OMG, I can’t believe you went through all this. I’m so glad you had surgery and you’re all right. That was a good video – funny but gets the point across. And there are women who are having a heart attack but are worried about their messy house and try to straighten the place up before the paramedics arrive. Isn’t that insane?

5. Reading about you almost not making it walking across the room sent chills up my spine. How incredibly scary! You’ve gone through so much. Thanks for posting all the signs and symptoms of a heart attack. I’m thinking of writing about my mom’s heart attack and congestive heart failure. Her symptoms weren’t the typical ones you’d think of.

It felt like a heart attack, but the ER doc never tested me.
      I think you should post it! We have to get the word out there any way that we can You never know how you may make a difference. The time it takes to react is sometimes critical. Most women don’t know anything about the signs…

6. Pingback: Wired for Life | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

7. timethief says:

Hi Susie,
    I’m so very glad you had the surgery and are doing so well. Thanks for posting the video. It was educational and I definitely have my red on. In fact, you can put me on the rheumatic fever list, along with your Dad.

8. Pingback: Lame Adventure 357: City Slickers in Crunchy-ville | Lame Adventures

Scary, Susie. I’m glad that you’re better now!

My mom has CHF and AFib. She was on Coumadin for a while to minimize her risk of stroke, but she took herself off it because she couldn’t handle the side effects. There is a lot to be said for exercise and good nutrition as much as going to the doctor regularly and paying attention to what your body is telling you.

This is such great advice and I agree that diet and exercise plays an integral part of heart health. Many times doctors never mention the importance of them. Not sure why…
      I hope your mom finds another drug that works for her.
      Thanks so much for stopping by!

10. Outstanding post! I’m glad Guap mentioned it. Very happy to have found your blog!
    -Christy

11. Holy crow! I’m late for the party! Sorry Soooz. You know I’ve had some stuff going on lately. Well, it was rough today. Anyway, this is an amazing inspirational story. We ALWAYS donate to the American Heart Association. Every year. In honor of my grandfather, who had a heart attack. I am so glad people knew what to do for you when you had that first PVST attack. I know how scary those events can be. So glad you are here to continue your wild ride!

12. Got that red on like many around here. Great post. Glad there was a solution for you. Can’t avoid all the triggers and scary. Now get outside (and you got a DR to prescribe living where you do, right?…giggles)

I am so glad to hear that! No one can avoid death, but I am all about prolonging it… :)
      Busted! I played tennis four times this week and have been working on my book all day to make up for lost computer time. How did you know??????
      The hubster and I are going to dinner and heading to the mountains tonight so you know I’ll be wearing the crimson!
      Thanks so much!

13. Jennifer says:

Wow, Susie, so glad you’re okay. I can’t seem to get the form to let me donate (too many variations on our address, I think), but I did my own “spread the word” and linked back to you and your fundraising page. I’ll have to send a check in, I guess. Thanks for sharing – I loved the video!

Thanks Jennifer! I am feeling great and a huge weight has lifted in knowing that I will never have one of them again.
      Sorry it wouldn’t let you donate. They will greatly appreciate the check!
      Thanks so much for the shout and the linkage. Anything to get their message out is fantastic!

14. Pingback: Red for Life! | Jennifer Jensen

15. So scary Susie–glad you came thru that wild ride! I’ve had wonky palps from my wonky messed up nervous system, Don’t like. Can’t imagine it happening all the time. Great that you are sharing your story and the stats. You rock Susie.

The palps happened pretty often, but I had 2 PVST’s leading up to the last bad one. (All three in 2010.) They were so different than the palpitations in that my heart muscle pumped so much harder, like a fist clenching, and it hurt!
      Not anymore! Thank God! I worried that I would get one sometime when I couldn’t get to a hospital… Thanks Coleen! I hope you are wearing red today and will get the word out!

16. Tori Nelson says:

I already thought you were a champ, Susie. Think so even more now. My aunt is going through some scary heart issues right now. Will definitely sport some red for her :)

17. Mike G says:

Thanks for sharing this Susie.

Some of these facts surprised me, but I always knew you were an exceptional human being, Susie!

19. Pingback: Friday Foolishness – Sportsmanlike Edition | Guapola

Wow, I had no idea. What a story this is, Susie. We are all thankful you’re riding wilder than ever. Powerful post.

Thanks Cayman!
      I am wilder than ever and wearing my red today! It’s a relief to know that I will never have another PVST. My chest hurt for days after that last episode.
      What are you doing up and blogging at 4:00 in the morning? You don’t have hormones to blame it on… :)

21. Laura says:

Wow, Susie, that sounds terrifying. I’m glad you’re okay now. And I’m looking forward to reading the rest of it — I didn’t even know there was such a thing as laser heart surgery.

Me either! Thanks Laura. I can drink coffee without worry, to be honest it has been a huge relief in general. I was afraid that I would have one while out of the country in some remote location or on a long flight…
      Don’t forget to wear your red today!

22. Jessica says:

You really are a Wild Rider! Thanks so much for sharing this, Susie. It is incredibly important to know the symptoms and risk factors of heart problems. You may have just saved a life.

I am a Wild Rider that is for sure! :)
      Wouldn’t that be great if I did save a life? We could all do that by spreading the word. So many women don’t take care of themselves like they should and still don’t know the signs of stroke or heart attack. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to get the word out!
      Thanks so much for stopping by Jessica! Don’t forget to wear your red! :)

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am very glad you are still here and healthy! My grandfather had a stroke, which he survived, but then he got quite delicate and died of pneumonia. My father died of a heart attack, so I know. Take care Susie, we love you.

Awww! Thanks so much! I love all of you too!
      A long time ago, I asked a cardiologist what I could do for my heart and he said, “Remember that it is a muscle and it needs exercise.” So I make sure stay active.
      I am sorry to hear about your grandfather and father. You should take care of yourself too since it is in your family history.
      I am sure that you and I will both be around for a long, long time! :)

24. Mark says:

Great post Susie! Re-blogged and I am wearing red to work tomorrow!

25. Elyse says:

So glad you’re OK. One of my sisters died from heart disease, one brother had a massive MI at 39 and a quadruple bi-pass. I will wear red tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know. (And thank Chris from Word Play)

Wow. Elyse I am so sorry! It is so important to get the word out there about heart disease. I would love to see the foundation get as big as Komen. Just think of the studies they could afford. In the meantime, take good care of yourself and spread the word!
      Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Elyse says:

Let’s hope it has better leaders than Komen did — they did much good but much harm (forbiding anyone else from using “the cure” — cutting funding to Planned Parenthood, having “shoot for the cure” competitions…

There are better models!

I agree wholeheartedly! Oooops! pun alert….
          I would like to email them with some suggestions for bloggers. I had to lift a symbol from Google images and link it to my AMA site so contributors could click over there. I think they are in the infant stages.

26. Mark says:

Reblogged this on Maleko's Art and commented:
    Tomorrow, February 1st, Wear Red and Tell Everyone Why!

27. pjb1943 says:

Hello,
    This is the Anonymous Awards Committee
    You have been awarded a “Readership Award”
    Please visit the website below to acknowledge
    and collect your award.

The Committee

28. Wow! I had no idea about those statistics- 1 in 3 is crazy. And it’s crazy that this is the first time I’ve heard that.

29. Very scary indeed! The only issue I’ve had with my heart is an irregular heart beat one day while in high school. I became very dizzy and didn’t know what was wrong with me until the doctor listened to my heart. It’s one of those things where we take a normal functioning heart for granted until it shows us it’s just another organ that can have problems like any other part of the body.

That sounds really scary. You are really young so you may not get regular check ups. It might be a good idea to have a doctor give your heart a listen just for peace of mind.
      I don’t think they have studied hormones and the heart, but I believe my PVSTs worsened because of them.
      Take care my friend! Thanks for stopping by with your story!

30. marydpierce says:

Wow, Susie. This was a revelation! You look the perfect picture of health. What a scary, scary thing to experience. In my 20s and early 30s I had an arrhythmia, which I was told could result in “sudden death” if I didn’t keep it in check. I evidently grew out of it, and it hasn’t been a problem for a long time. So I assumed I was good. What this post makes me realize is never take anything for granted.

I glad you’re able to live an active life. Thanks for posting this, along with the video – I wasn’t aware of the warning signs. I clicked on your link and made a donation so to keep the word going out there where it can help others.

And I’ll be decked out in red tomorrow, thanks to you!!

Wow Mary! thanks so much! It is always good to have a regular check up. My mom has always had really low blood pressure and the last time she was at the doctor, it was super high!
      Thanks so much for supporting AMA!
      I am hoping for a sea of red tomorrow!

31. I bought my red ribbon pin to wear tomorrow, and I have a red shirt ready to go. Plus, I’m sure my cheeks will be red from the chill in the air! :)

32. I’ll definitely donate! What a fabulous cause, Susie. Thank you for putting a name, and such flare, to heart disease. It’s entirely different than hearing stats and headlines… Go you!

Thanks August! The AMA and I really appreciate your support! I felt like I needed to get my small voice and story out there. I hope that this information will help someone someday!

33. Wow Susie. That is some journey you’ve been on. So glad you’ve got it sorted now.

Holy Crap! I can’t even imagine the Wild Rider in you having heart surgery, well if it allows you to eat chocolate and drink wine again, well it was definitely worth it. Definitely. And that video! OH MY GOD. It was the funniest thing ever, I think all moms are like that … assuring themselves that nothing is wrong during the morning rush, but it’s always better to check things out. Elizabeth Banks is HILARIOUS! Thanks for posting that video and for all the awareness.

OH! By the way can I just say congratulations. A while back you had like 800 and change followers, then like a thousand. Dude I noticed all your Wild Riders and you have over 5,000 of them. Holy Crap indeed! Very awesome.

35. pjb1943 says:

Susie,
    What an experience ! I really can appreciate what you went through with the tachycardia. I dealt with that off/on for over 20yrs, before they had all of the more contemporary treatments. Like you, I had a “routine” that usually got me out of it (usually!). Heart problems started in my family – with me!!!
    At age 34 I had a major MI (heart attack) and that’s where the abberant heart rythms started, both atrial and ventricular. 11yrs later I had a “sudden death” event and was comatose for a week, followed by the implantation of a defibrillator and a triple bypass. This dealt with the immediate problem for about another 10 yrs when I started having what the Dr. termed “cardiac storm” which amounted to 1 or 2 mini heart attacks every day. Tried ablation treatment and that lasted for about 6mo. Long story short…, 3 years ago I had a heart transplant. Have been doing great since then. My message to all is: Don’t neglect your health, especially where it concerns your heart. I wouldn’t wish what I went through for so long on my worst enemy. That’s how bad it can be.
    As for you, young lady, take care of yourself !!!
    Hugs,
    Paul

• pjb1943 says:

BTW, you look great in red !!!

Okay. The whole time I was reading your comment I was saying, “Oh my God. Oh my God!” I am so very happy that you are still with us! Wow! You are that symbol of hope for so many. Just think of the ones that don’t make into the hospital in time..
      I am glad that you are feeling better! It is amazing what they can do now. My heart problem was nothing compared to yours and yet anything with the heart, lungs or brain is always scary… no one can live without them!
      Thanks so much Paul! (((hugs)))

• pjb1943 says:

Your comment, Susie, “My heart problem was nothing compared to yours ” is a problem for me. There is no heart problem that isn’t BIG !!! They all start small, but then the fun begins. You mentioned congestive heart failure as a family issue…, That’s what led to my transplant! Take good care of yourself, ok?
        Paul

36. I am taking my obese friend out for a jog around the park tomorrow morning Susie and i willl wear my Red T-Shirt in your honour! We don’t have this in the UK yet but it is a great cause.

There you go Jim! It is a great cause. I would guess that the statistics may be similar there in England and women don’t know anything about heart disease… Get those knees up tomorrow!
      Thank you!

37. Ooh Susie, I’m so glad you’re okay and that they were able to fix your heart. I cannot imagine living with that condition as long as you did. This is serious, scary stuff. I worry about us women because I’ve heard this can be a silent killer. I was just sent to the hospital in an ambulance last October. It wasn’t fun. I was fortunate. It was anxiety. But a scary experience and a wake up call. Thanks for bringing this important issue to our attention. And by the way, you look fab in red girlfriend! :)

Hahaha! I had Danny take that picture this morning after I woke up! Good thing for high contrast! Thanks!
      Wow. That must have been so scary. You have been through a lot of worry. Our bodies really react to stress. Where are the studies on that? Western medicine has a long way to go. First they better catch up with researching women and heart disease!
      I am glad to hear it was anxiety and not a terrible heart condition. It is always better to be cautious and get any strange symptoms checked out.
      Thanks again Karen!

38. This is such good information. So many women, especially young women, have no clue that they could have a heart attack.

I’m so glad you got the help you needed and are using your experience to spread the word about this ugly disease. Thanks for sharing.

Had my heart moment five years ago. Was in for visit with the doctor. Getting BPed and temped my pulse came back as 25. It was done by machine so an error is possible. Paperwork was passed to doc. She was a tad po’ed. Manual pulse; 47. EKG, and the beginning of a long term relationship with the cardio. Lots of tests, dye jobs, stress etc. Turns out I’ve got a wonky valve. It was enough to have the docs to concider a pacemaker. Didn’t get one but got a whole boatload of data. Watch: diet, stress levels, inactivity, pain especially left side. We’ve been together for five years now. The doctors keep me in line by reminding me that death sucks and extended stays at the hospital are almost as bad. Ladies, I’m a guy who wants all of you tom stay around a long time. Listen to Susie.

Awwww! Tom you gave me shivers. It is a good thing you are under a doctor’s care. Many people use pacemakers. I remember a neighbor’s son was born with a defect and he has had one his whole life. He must be 21 now.
      Keep up all your good work in taking care of yourself my friend!
      Thanks so much for sharing your story.

40. filbio says:

This is a terrific post with great info. I will be wearing red tomorrow, as my fiancee’ is getting surgery and we will be in a hospital all day too. It’s good to know that the doctors fixed you up and these things are curable nowadays with the science of the era. Thanks for sharing.

Phil

41. Thanks for sharing your story – you are a fighter and a survivor:) I am wearing red tomorrow for my mother, my father and my brother (my brother has had 2 heart attacks 37 & 39 – made it to his 40th year in October 2012). My chances have gone up with my brother now having heart disease, but I am being proactive when it comes to my heart health. I have been dealing with heart disease in my family since I was 19 when I almost lost my mother who almost did not see her 50th year. Happy Thursday:)

Oh Renee! Just keep getting those check ups and you’ll really reduce your risk. It astounds me how much they can do with drugs these days. It is how my dad is still alive at 86!
      Stay healthy my friend!

Trying to get someone’s attention can be incredibly frustrating when you’re really in need.

Great post Susie! Looking forward to the next part.

It was hard and I kept expecting it to go away, but it didn’t.
      Thanks so much for coming by Guapo! I hope you’ll wear red tomorrow… :)
      Spread those facts out into the world. It amazes me how many women don’t know!

43. OyiaBrown says:

Reblogged this on Oyia Brown and commented:
    Thanks for all the advice.

44. Pingback: The Ultimate Fright | Word Play

I’m so glad you are well! Of course, we had no idea. That was my specialty, open heart surgery…ICU. So I know exactly what you speak about. My friend has that for last 5 years; I’ve picked up her young kids in the ER for her, but it’s better lately. It seems to be somewhat hormonal in nature, for the attacks coming on, cyclic in nature, for her anyway. The things that medicine can do are so great but, like anything, there are so many things that can go wrong! Thanks for sharing.

Luckily, I didn’t have open heart surgery. I will tell the rest of the story in a week or two. That is so cool that you got to work in surgery. I was a medical illustrator back in the day.
      I really do think it is related to hormones. When you read my story, I talk about the times that it kicked up. After Kelly was born, then after Courtney and the last bout of PVSTs since I probably had fluctuating hormones with peri-menopause. Isn’t it weird how no studies have been done? Men have dominated all of them and we are more likely to die from heart related diseases! Hence the fundraiser!
      Thanks so much for coming by!

This is quite a story. And a well written one… with a cliff hanger, of course. Who would have guessed with your penchant for ‘wildness’. It gives hope to all heart attackees that they will dance again.

Thanks for the reminder of warning signs. I’m sure on Feb 1, members of the AMA will have a table set up in Marketplace… I will make a donation in your honor.

Thanks Ted! The defect was fixed thanks to a brilliant doctor and modern technology. Now I can drink my cup of joe and dance! Of course I’ve always danced…
      The story was too long for one post and the second part is funnier. You know me…. :)
      Thanks again!

• tedstrutz says:

Are you going to drag your kids into that one too? Or just Roxy?

Nope! I wish I had an angle to include them somehow. Hey maybe they could be flies on the wall! Oh yah. Dang. I don’t have any pictures..I do remember a friend bringing over a casserole. Roxy was still a puppy and I found her up on the countertop indulging! Stinker!

That is certainly a lot of useful information I think too few people by far know about.
    Also fascinating to read about your own experience. One of the last people I would have expected to have been a sufferer from any sort of heart defect!

I know! I am always in high gear unless I crash and take a nap. Hahaha! Maybe I was born with that crazy electrical problem because I have a voice through my blog and can spread the word. So many deaths and damage to the heart can be prevented if we respond quickly.
      I am 100% now! Well almost. I still have a murmur, but that’s no big deal. Doesn’t slow me down a bit!
      Thanks so much for coming by!

48. Kecia Adams says:

This is important info, Susie! Good for you for spreading the word. My father and brother-in-law both have suffered from tachycardia. In fact, my b-i-l was misdiagnosed as having panic attacks. Thanks for this!

PVSTs can be so awful and rehabilitating. But there are a lot of different kinds of them. Some are a lot worse than what I had. Panic attacks must be horrible. Mine always hit while I was sleeping. Weird or what????
      Thanks so much for coming by Kecia! Don’t forget to spread the word and wear red tomorrow!

49. Great post Susie! My dad also has heart disease and on my late mother’s side, everyone died from a stroke, so I’m pretty sure how I’m going to check out i.e., I’ll get hit by a beer truck. Seriously though, I am in the 20% of women that is aware that heart disease will sooner kill us than breast cancer. Isn’t this due to the studies being primarily done on men? I hope that you stay healthy now. We need your voice on this important subject!

Exactly, on all counts – the beer truck, being in the 20%, and that most studies have been done on men.
      Komen has made over a billion dollars for research and I would love to know how that compares with AMA. Probably a fraction of that will be made this year.

Thanks V! My plan is to stay happy and healthy so I can be a Wild Rider for many years to come!

• There are walks and runs to find a cure for breast cancer, something that I know we both agree is very important, so women and heart disease has a way to go to follow breast cancer awareness in the publicity department. That’s why a voice like yours about this is so important. Women have to speak up to motivate other women and the men in their lives to take action now to improve the research. Your pappy’s still kicking so keep doing what you’re doing to follow his lead in the sticking around department Susie!

Holy smokes, I am glad you are alright Susie! God bless you and what you do for others. Your are wonderful! I have CHF and have lived with it for years. We must go on right…. Be well. :)

Thanks so much! I am better than ever now! There is no holding this Wild Rider back.. Hahaha!
      PVSTs are usually not fatal, but mine were pretty severe. I will continue my story later in the month. Thank God for laser!
      CHF is pretty scary, but can be controlled pretty well with meds. Are you considering surgery? There is a brand spankin’ procedure out there where valves can be replaced with a catheter. They are doing them at UW-Madison.
      Take care of yourself John!

51. I had no idea your condition was congenital. I am so happy you are alive and my friend. I had no idea about the face in the snow.. wow…
    HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I was born with a weird electrical problem. No surprise there with my energy! Hahaha! …kidding….It is all fixed now!
      I plan on being your friend for many, many more years to come Linda!

52. Thanks for posting this information. I sent this blog post to several family and friends. I had no idea you had a heart problem; you seem to live life to the fullest in spite of it.

I had it fixed 3 years ago. Since I have had no reoccurrence of the PVST’s, it was a huge success!
      Thanks Chaz! I am so glad that you passed it on! Thank you so much for that!

53. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information and that incredibly realistic video!

54. Wow… I guess Susie Lindau’s wild ride of a life has been wild in ways that I and others have never imagined. After reading this, I’m just glad that you’re still with us, and that we have the pleasure of knowing you, now that I know how close things got to us never being able to know you at all.

While I could appreciate the humor in the video, I was too horrified by what was happening to feel anything like laughing. In one of the all time scariest moments of my life, my wife Jean suddenly collapsed in the kitchen, falling down on the floor unconscious. I rushed to her and as I knelt down at her side, I called out her name increasingly louder, but she didn’t respond.

Worst of all, Jean’s eyes were open but her eyes had no light in them, and she looked like she was gone. I grabbed her by the shoulders and yelled in her face at the top of my lungs, YOU COME BACK TO ME JEAN!!! YOU COME BACK RIGHT NOW!!!

And suddenly, she did. It turns out that Jean had only fainted. I rushed her to the hospital anyway, but a thorough medical examination found nothing wrong with her, and nothing like that has ever happened to her again, in 25 years.

Yours is a very worthy cause, and I will support it. Thanks for being you, Susie, and for doing all that you do.

Thanks so much Chris! I am glad that your wife is okay. Our bodies are so fragile and I don’t always think that women worry about their hearts…
      I’m fine now, but looking back, I should have had that ER doc take an enzyme test to see if I was in the early stages of a heart attack. In a huge way, I am glad that it happened since I found out that PVSTs were completely treatable.
      Thanks again!

55. mairedubhtx says:

My grandmother died of heart disease and my mother had heart disease. Heart disease runs in my family so chances are good that I will have it. I went to Go Red for Women and my confirmation is 54M4P33. I have friends who have heart disease. I did it for all of us.

Awwww!!! Thank you so very much! I will add you to the blogroll!
      I got to believe that some kind of heart disease is in everyone’s family. As women, we need to watch our cholesterol, blood pressure and salt intake…
      Thanks again and take good care of yourself!

56. This is brilliant, Suzy. The video is absolutely hilarious and the information invaluable. I was a volunteer paramedic and the youngest heart attack we did was 29 – unfortunately she didn’t call us and when her friends did she was already gone. I’ll tweet the bejesus out of this. Wow.

Oh my God! 29… So very young.
      I LOVE that video too. I believe that it really happened to her.
      Thanks so much Colin! I would really appreciate it if you get the word out since so many can benefit from the information!
      Thanks again!

57. Barneysday says:

Thanks for sharing your story. I had tiny, but increasingly frequent blackout periods lasting a few seconds or so. It wasn’t “indigestion.” Turns out, bottom two chambers ocassionally forgot to sync with the top two, throwing me into a rapid pulse and no pressure. Thanks to a persistent spouse, and a never take no for an answer approach to my own care, a pacemaker proudly keeps me in perfect sync.

Heart disease is no small matter, for men or women.

Thank you for this information. You are a hero, Susie!