Wired for Life

mended heartIt will be three years this April since I had heart surgery. I know. I AM a Wild Rider, but I had a problem with PVST’s which cramped my style. After the last one left me reeling for days, I made an appointment with a cardiologist to get the dang thing fixed.

Dr. Oza peeked into my room twice before coming in.

“Are you Susan Lindau?”

“Yep, that’s me.”

“Really! I looked at your birth date and was looking for someone much older-looking.”

What a charming man. An intelligent man. A man whose judgment I could trust.

I told him my “sad story” – everyone has one, right? – about my PVST’s.

He explained that most people have an electric system in their heart like fingers on a hand. A normal pulse starts at the palm and runs out to the fingertips. In my case, one of the pathways was linked. Think of the tip of my thumb and forefinger touching like I am giving you the “okay” sign, only it was not okay. In fact, it really sucked. Every so often the beat would leap into that circular pathway and my rhythmic heart rate would soar. It was like house music on speed with a gigantic woofer. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.

Kelly Smash 1

DJ Kelly Smash dropping the bass…

He described an invasive procedure called a catheter ablation. They would insert three wires on either side of my groin. Then they would send a jolt to my heart to get it rockin’ and rollin’ in PVST mode. Once it started galloping, they would map the pattern. My messed up electrical system would be revealed.

Then he would cauterize, slash, burn, or in other words, trash the pathway. After a few weeks of healing, a wall of scar tissue would block the electric pulse.

Cue classical music.

800px-Tch_In_Charlotte

I had heard horror stories of how difficult it could be to get the heart into PVST rhythm for this procedure. My friend’s heart had been zapped for hours. I told my doctor that I believed in positive thinking and that it would go into hyper-drive after the first jolt. He smiled and said that the patients who had a good attitude had the best results.

Thrilled to think that I would never have another incident, I booked the date for the procedure.

He handed me a pamphlet to read and said he would see me there.

I admit it. I never looked at it. Never even Googled it. I didn’t want to freak myself out.

After a stress test and a few EKG appointments, the big day arrived.

I remember the nurse asked me a few questions as she filled out a form. She set it on the table next to my bed.

I can read upside down.

Under “Reason for surgery,” it said, “Risk of death.”

Whoa!

Before I had much of a chance to think about it, they put me on amnesia and truth serum drugs. Yeah, I know. There is such a thing!

As they wheeled me to surgery, they joked about how they would ask me a lot of personal questions, but I wouldn’t remember a thing. That freaked me out more than knowing that my PVST could have been fatal!

Hours later, I woke up feeling great.

My doctor beamed when making rounds and checked in on me. He said, “You were right. Your heart went into PVST on the first try.”

My friends stopped by later that afternoon. One of them brought a gift of socks so my feet would keep warm. “Hey, look,” I said and whipped the coverlet back to reveal the ugly hospital socks, “They already gave me some.” Yes. The truth serum was still in my system. I gave out waaaay too much information for the next several hours.

Before being released, I was given a set of instructions. Someone to watch me for the first 48 hours was a new precaution. Looking back, I think they may have been alarmed at how hard my heart pumped when in PVST.

I was still spaced out the next morning. Danny had a meeting in Denver and I insisted that he go.

Then I remembered that I was supposed to have someone around to watch me.

I dialed my Italian friend. She agreed to be on call in case I started bleeding out. She would have to put pressure on the site if she found me passed out on the floor. Hey. I am a writer and have an over-active imagination.

Somehow, I survived.

Months later, I went to a dinner party at her home.

After regaling the guests with my story about the successful procedure, her husband stood and started laughing.

“So Angie says to me, ‘I have to go out. You might get a call from Susie. If you do, you have to go to her house and put your hands next to crotch, here and here.’”

‘Where?’

‘Here and here.'” He pressed a hand on either side of his groin.

‘Are you sure?’

She said, ‘Yes. Just hurry over there if she calls and don’t leave the house for any reason.’

I was afraid to leave the room thinking the phone would ring and I wouldn’t hear it,” he said, “but it was a quiet morning….”

We laughed and teased him that there could be advantages to having a home office.

To read Part I of my story, click here. Some of the facts about heart disease will shock you.

my heart

It’s not too late to give to the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women fundraiser or click the link on my side bar. I will add you to my blogroll. We’ve raised $250 so far. Thank you so much to those who have already donated!

Orchestra photo from Wikipedia

Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia

Catheter Ablation

Are you taking care of your heart?

About Susie Lindau

This entry was posted in Humor, Inspiration, Life, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

107 Responses to Wired for Life

1. Pingback: I can honestly say, my kids almost killed me. | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

2. Thank you also for sharing your story. This is a message that needs to be more shared.

3. OMG, Susie! What a nightmare! If I understood correctly, you weren’t awake during the procedure, thankfully. I am so glad about that. This just proves that you never know what other people suffer through. You are a very brave woman! But look at you now. Skiing, biking, hiking. There is no end to your activity. And no more heart pounding. What a scary experience. I’m just so happy for you and your family! :)

P.S. Yay, I finally was able to leave this comment. I don’t know what happened Susie, but I’ve had problems visiting WordPress.com sites. I refused to give up! Big hugs to you and your family for what you’ve all been through!

I am so sorry about the comment thing! That is so weird.
      I was out cold, but conscious. They counted me down and I woke up in recovery. The amnesia drug must work to black a person out.
      I am so glad that my heart is fixed. Those PVSTs were horrific!
      Thanks so much Karen for taking the time to leave a comment!

This post really hits home, thank you. I would have ended it with “…from the bottom of my heart”, but that would’ve been a tad overdone, dont’cha think?
    As for myself, I am learning not to take my heart for granted. I quit smoking last April (22) and I’ve been running, watching what I eat and laughing more. Okay, that last part is the same as ever.

It was a heartfelt post which came from the heart. There are a million of them! I can only imagine that you laugh all the time!
      That is so great that you were able to quit. You are “on the road” to a very healthy life..
      Thanks Cayman!

And you manage to make this story funny? You amaze me! That’s why I adore you so. :D You are one fantastic shiny example for others. Attitude goes a long way.I can’t believe I missed some of your other stories. Crazy time I guess. Wow. Your story is a fantastic post for awareness!

6. Whoa, Susie! What an ordeal you went through. And to make it funny takes talent. You were very brave. Smart not looking it up on the internet (something I would do for sure) And it looks like all that positive thinking paid off for you in a big way. Talk about counting your blessings!

Thanks Darla!
      I would have thought that I would at least look at the pamphlet they gave me, but I didn’t want to know the gory details.
      I am all fixed now and feeling great! I guess humor is my way with dealing with almost everything!
      Speaking of humor… I am trying to get my nerve up to blog a silly and lusty Valentine’s post!
      I hope I don’t offend anyone although it is tame compared to a lot that is out here…It cracks me up, so I think it’s okay…

Thanks for sharing your story, Susie. This is a great way to educate people.

8. filbio says:

Wow, thanks for sharing. Good to hear that modern medicine works and that your ticker is doing great! None of the women in my family have heart problems but it’s good to know this info.

Phil

Most women never have their hearts checked out. It is cancer they are usually most worried about. But it is great to hear that they are healthy!
      Yep! I have not had any recurrence in the last three years so it is fixed. Yay!
      Thanks for coming by!

I’m glad it worked for you on first try, and that the issue is corrected. I have a mitral valve issue that causes an arrhythmia, is a funny feeling, but not dangerous.

I have mitral valve prolapse too, but it only causes a small murmur. Arrhythmia is something else again. I am glad to hear that it isn’t dangerous!
      Thanks Nelle and for the link!

10. I’m so glad you shared your story. You never know who you’re informing out there…knowledge is good.
    My favorite part of your tale was fear of talking under the truth serum…that my friend, is a scary thought…hahaha

11. Tori Nelson says:

Seriously so impressed with your sense of humor and awesome attitude. That had to be a scary experience and it sounds like you handled the whole deal like a smiling champ :)

Scary stuff! Wacky that it had to be made to go wrong so it could be put right! And hilarious to have the husband under threat of touching inappropriate parts!

I know! Thank God it worked and I will no longer have them. I was beginning to worry about having one at an inopportune moment.
      We still laugh about that! They are very good friends!
      Thanks so much!

13. Appropriately, I read this post while listening to Händel’s Hallelujah chorus. Perfect music. Wow, that was indeed quite a wild ride, Susie! Real glad you did it and got through it!

14. I’m glad you’re better. Yes, I am taking care of my heart both health-wise and romantically… :)

15. Elena says:

wow!! Susie, you’re my inspiration! I want to dance with you!

16. Well, I thought I posted a comment, but it went away, so if you get two posts from me, sorry.

My first post was much more clever than this one, but I appreciate how you approached a very serious topic in a humorous way. No invasive surgery is ever easy and the risk of death will make any heart pump overtime.

So glad you lived to tell about it and that you can share your experience in a fun and entertaining way.

Stay healthy!

I looked in my spam filter and there was nothing but spammers… sorry about that!
      Thanks so much Patricia! I guess that is my approach to life. I just keep on smiling and dance whenever I can!

17. It is hard to believe such an active go-getter like you could even remotely have a heart issue. I’m so glad to read that your operation was a success and that you can continue your wild ride through life! Too funny.. I think your friend was hoping you’d call;) Thanks for bringing the awareness forefront regarding heart month! xx

Thanks Barbara!
      I was born with it, so it was wonderful to have it fixed. Now I don’t have to worry when I am on Survivor or The Amazing Race! Kidding…
      That is the joke, that my friend waited near the phone and was bummed when it didn’t ring! Hahaha!
      I am just doing my part to get the word out there. So many women still worry about breast cancer killing them and it is heart disease that will do most of us in….

18. Anonymous says:

WOW is all I can say. Good you are gonna be around a long time.

19. I need to mirror your bravery and go get some tests….I am a huge baby when it comes to docs! I remembered this story vividly from our dinner and I am glad you shared it here

You’ve got a long way to go. You’ve developed the one thing that survivors have, the ability to take a potential personal horror story and make it not funny, funny but light while retaining the gravity of the situation. BTW I gave. You pushed me and I’m glad.

Did I wrangle you into it? I think it was that final arm twist that did it. Thanks so much Tom!
      I’m good. It’s been three years so I won’t get another PVST. I just have to keep exercising and stay healthy! So far so good! Played tennis today and will ski this weekend. I am a wild rider you know… :)

21. Your catheter ablation makes my cardioversion for atrial fibrilation sound like a walk in the park. Glad it went well, gal.

Good Lord, you went through so much Susie – I am so glad you are OK! In fact you are a real firecracker aren’t you! Without our health, we lose so much wealth don’t we? I have a bad ticker too.

My mother in law is having this same procedure March 5th, my wife and I are flying to Ontario and plan on being there with her before and after. The meds she is taking are helping this in a major way but she still wants the surgery – we can’t tell her what to do of course. Our trip also includes house hunting in the Vegas area… Big plans!

It would have been a shame to lose your magnificent light and beautiful voice, Susie.
    I’m glad everything worked out. Thank you for enlightening us once more.

24. I donated a buck at the grocery store the other day. I am very proactive with my heart health – having a brother who had his 1st heart attack at 37 scared the beejeus out of me. I have my mother, my father and now my brother living with heart disease. Plus I have asthma – not a good mix to add in heart disease – so just be proactive. Happy Day:)

Wow! Renee you take care of yourself. That is so scary since it can be hereditary. Nobody goes through life without some body part breaking down. We just have to do our best keep ourselves healthy!
      Thanks so much!

25. Susie.. I am so glad you got through this as I could never imagine a day with you.
    Love you

You’ve got so much crap on your sidebar, I had a hard time finding it. Finally, I figured it must be a big red dot. Found it!

So, your Italian Friend split and left your fate to her husband? Great story, and a great pic of DJ Kelly Smash!

• tedstrutz says:

p.s. I’m really, really glad the catheter ablation worked.

Thanks Ted and for paging through the crap!
        Yep, I am alive and very well. There wasn’t much risk in dying during the procedure, but they don’t always repair it the first time and for that I am very thankful! The PVSTs were causing damage.
        My friends still laugh at that story. I was in good hands so to speak! :)
        I love that photo too!

27. Glad you are okay. My heart, according to ER and other doctors is wonderful; it’s my brain that has the difficulties (heck, I coulda told them that!).

28. Audrey says:

Susie, you are seriously an amazing lady! I love that you never let this slow you down. :)

Thanks Audrey!
      Nothing could slow me down. I played singles tennis less than three weeks after the surgery. :) Well, I did slow down with a few ankle sprains and then there was a nasty hamstring pull last summer, but my heart? It is a muscle that needs to be exercised. I didn’t even worry when I polar plunged! Gotta keep on dancing!

29. pjb1943 says:

Susie,
    Had no idea that you’d done the ablation thing and know exactly what you went through. Been there/done that a couple of times before the transplant. Glad to hear it is working well for you, but be careful anyway. Heart problems are so dangerous for women in today’s world, I think, because so much emphasis has been put on men’s cardiac health. Just recently I seem to see more attention given to the women’s side of this issue, but at present it only seems like the “light at the end of the tunnel”. Needs a lot more focus.
    Happy to see you bringing light to it, as, in my own minor way am trying.
    Paul

Thanks so much Paul!
      Yes. I don’t take my heart for granted, but exercise is the best thing for it. So I stay active with all my Wild Adventures. In the meantime I am doing my part to get the word out there!
      I am glad that you have been treated as well.
      Take care my friend!

30. Piper Bayard says:

Sounds like a scary process. Glad it turned out well for you. :)

Yep, but I didn’t think about it too much. I knew it couldn’t be worse than the PVST’s!
      I’ve been motoring for almost three years without out recurrence so it worked!
      Thanks Piper!

31. viveka says:

Wow … what a scary thing – glad that you’re recovering and everything went after all well – you’re so young too – you’re doing the right thing to slow down .. because we mostly only get one shot on life .. *smile – I got a second chance on life .. when they found my tumor … and after that my view on life changed completely – neither my body or soul will be the same again. You take care of your heart.

I am glad that you got a second chance!
      I have to admit that I have not slowed down. I just got back from tennis and will ski this weekend. Got to keep my heart in shape!
      I played tennis three weeks after the surgery and that was almost three years ago!
      Thank you!

• viveka says:

I don’t sport will kill you *smile but I think everything has be in moderation – great news that you have been doing that well after you surgery …. I have friends that has been fit as fiddles and just PANG! Enjoy your skiing .. quite a few years since I was flying down hill. Have a great trip.

32. Great story. And very glad you don’t have to worry anymore.

33. CC MacKenzie says:

Thank you for sharing this, Susie. Scary. Keeeeeep writing!

A great story told in your usual style!
    So in the years since, have you ever had a high heart rate issue again?

Thanks so much Guapo! I giggled while I wrote it… :)
      Nope! Not once have I had another PVST or heart palpitation. Dr. Oza did a great job on my heart. I feel very confident in my heart health. Yay!

I’m glad you survived. The heart and brain are such difficult surgery areas due to the high importance of life/function. So is having the right doctor, hospital, etc. You are the perfect spokesperson! The studies, not done on women, have been known for over twenty years…unfortunately, this is old news, at least among people working in medicine(we knew of this in the 80’s). Money, it’s all about money, and how much money a company can make.

Why have there been absolutely no public service announcements about this? Money is right. The AMA suffers in that department, but eventually the word will get out and the money will come in. Then maybe we can change that statistic.
      Thanks Lilie!

36. So good to hear you had the ablation! My daughter-in-law had a similar problem and the same procedure and has not been visited by one nasty palpitation since (five years). Kudos to you for sharing your story and all of this important information. Ride on, Susie!

Ride on! I love it!
      That is great to hear about your daughter-in-law! Dr. Oza said that if I didn’t have another palpitation or PVST in the next two years, I never would have another and that has been the case! Thank God.
      Thanks so much Patricia!

37. Yesterday I just thought you liked snow. Today I find out you are a woman on a mission. Interesting story and I am of course very glad that the surgery went well. I think you make an interesting and important point that heart disease affects many more women than breast cancer, why aren’t there runs for the cure? I had no idea until I read this that 1-3 women would be affected by this. Mind boggling. Thank you for raising awareness, I hope your health continues to be good as well.

Thanks so much Jonathan! It is mind boggling.
      As far as fund-raising, I think they are in the infant stage compared to Komen Foundation. They have come a long way since last year and still have a ways to go in getting the message out there. It all comes down to money and most people make donations to breast cancer.
      We have to just keep trying to get the message out there!
      Thanks so much!

38. Cathy Ulrich says:

Thanks for sharing this, Susie. So glad it all went well and you’re back on the slopes!

39. I had no idea you’d been through all that! Talk about a wild ride? Of the unpleasant variety. And yet. I’m guessing it makes you even more grateful to be around to enjoy life! What a blessing! ;)

Every day is a blessing! I was told from the beginning that PVSTs were not life-threatening, but they can be. That really freaked me out.
      I know there is scar tissue in my heart now which can’t be good, but I will keep on exercising my heart muscle to keep it in shape by having all kinds of Wild Adventures!
      Thanks Renee!

40. I laughed at your Italian’s husband…Thank God you made it out alive…Keep riding wild!

He cracks me up and still tells that story! Hahaha!
      Dr. Oza performs the same procedure every day and it is really routine for him, but I think if I hadn’t had the ablation, it would have taken a huge toll on my heart over time.
      Thanks Charles! I will keep on Wild Riding!

41. Wow, that sounds very serious and amazing that you just knew it would take one try. No wonder you’re always up for a dance it explains a lot ;) I would have been the same about the questions I wouldn’t remember, those cheeky hospital staff!

I wonder what they asked me or what I yammered on about…. Good thing the amnesia drugs worked. I was out of it for a couple of days and kept telling Danny, “I’m fine! I’m fine!” Later, I warned him that if I ever go through surgery again to make sure he talks to the doctor himself and doesn’t rely on me. My optimism could be dangerous!
      Thanks Catherine!

Hell – I had no idea! Now I gonna read Part 1.

43. zendictive says:

my daughter is doing jump rope for life and has collected hundreds of dollars while getting ready to see how many jumps she can do for this organization. good post (~_~)

44. mairedubhtx says:

Thank you for sharing your story with us all. It’s important for people to know how heart health is important to women. Glad to know you are better now.

Thanks Marie!
      It is important since it is news to most people that women are more likely to die of heart disease than men!
      I’ll never have another crazy PVST again at least! I do plan to keep taking good care of my heart.