Scarred for Life

Katniss_Everdeen

In the book The Hunger Games, the protagonist, Katniss, wakes up and finds all of her scars have been removed. My reaction surprised me. Parting with some of mine, would be like losing old friends.

I want to keep my scars.

What?

The other side of me relishes the thought of having perfect skin, especially as I approach another birthday. Having an unblemished epidermis does appeal to me, for a fleeting moment.

Susie Lindau self-portrait

Somehow, scars are different. They have meaning. History left its mark upon my flesh and with history there is a story to tell. Believe me, this Wild Rider has more than a few.

I just looked for my oldest and favorite scar and it’s gone! It seems many have been snatched in the night, replaced by zombie freckles. In the right light, I can see a shadow of where it remained for so many years, but I am probably imagining it. I still remember its story.

When I was five years old, my family lived in an apartment. Skateboarders loved our street because of the hill and lack of traffic. Some of my friends didn’t appreciate the teenagers that descended on our quiet neighborhood.

We made up a chant and hid behind the bushes. Then we shouted out to the older boys, “Hey you skateboarders, think you’re so big! We don’t like you, so get off Ascot Lane!”

They laughed and ignored us.

735px-1_bowl_skate_boarding

Later, I watched them from the picture window. It looked like fun. My dad came home from work and offered his help. He built a skateboard out of metal roller skates and a 2×4. He sanded the edges to make it look authentic.

Without any parental supervision or a helmet, non-existent back in the day, I carried my new skateboard to the top of the hill.

I am sure that I took a deep breath and said, “I can do this!” One of the teenagers held the board for me. He pointed it downhill and gave me instructions. While balancing on top with my arms outstretched, he let go. I’m not sure how far I rolled on the board, but I do remember being airborne for several feet before landing on my left knee.

After limping back home, my mom applied a huge bandage. I bet I yapped about my misadventure for weeks!

Many of my surface scars have stories to go with them: A fingernail scratch across the cheek from an impatient and very young friend, a kite string across the bridge of my nose, several puncture wounds and stitches. Each is like a page from my life. The wounds may have been painful and others limited me for a while, but somehow they made me stronger. They also remind me that I will never be perfect and that’s okay.

When I think of the scars on one’s soul, I can see where some would want them removed. The pain of the worst memories can haunt at the oddest of times. Thinking back, I have learned and been shaped by all of them. I am the sum total of all the recollections of my life. It’s what makes me, me.

Many years ago, a friend of mine suffered a head-on automobile collision and survived after being in a coma for weeks. He lost much of his memory and was never the same person again. His cocky confidence was replaced by an introverted stranger. I realized so much of who we are is stored in our memories.

Katniss didn’t have a choice in her scars’ removal. I would be reluctant to part with mine whether they are on the surface or on my soul. They all have a story to tell. No one is perfect. When I look at my body and its scars, I smile.

Would you part with yours?

Photos from Wikimedia Commons

Self-portrait illustration by Susie Lindau

Related articles:

Skateboarding

Katniss Everdeen – The Hunger Games

About Susie Lindau

This entry was posted in Humor, Inspiration, Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

132 Responses to Scarred for Life

1. Trishana says:

I do think remembering where we’ve been helps us get where we’re going. I was disappointed that Katniss’ hearing got restored after her Hunger Games ordeal (not sure if that was only in the book or the movie too). I actually thought having that loss would make her a stronger and more interesting character. Glad I found you through the Pitch Party!

Wow! This is a post from waaaay back! I agree about her scars and hearing loss. That threw me when her skin was restored.
      Thanks for coming! I just got home and will check out your blog and others tomorrow!

2. Pingback: Susie Strong | Alarna Rose Gray

3. Dena says:

I would not part with my scars, nor with what they represent.

I am so glad you agree! I may have felt differently about some on my legs when I was younger, but now I cherish them and their stories!
      Thanks for stopping by and reading!

4. bronxboy55 says:

If I were to see someone without physical or emotional scars, I’d think either that person is very young or has been completely sheltered. Either way, they haven’t lived.

Great post, Susie. I like that illustration, too.

Hey Thanks!
      I agree and believe that it is through the tough times that we grow. I remember reading that sentiment a really long time ago and thinking, “I can do without them,” but now I am glad for all of the experiences, good and bad! I will have to post about the emotional scars – in a light way – some other time…

5. Nia Simone says:

Brilliant! I like my scars too. Same reason.

Thanks Nia! I guess most of them are going to stay around for a while, but I do miss the ones that have faded… It’s funny how since I wrote the post, I have found a few others with stories I had forgotten!

6. Denise Hisey says:

I don’t mind my physical scars, but I’d be fine having the invisible ones disappear.

7. Jean says:

I think there might be an exception to all this: burn victims. I truly think they do deserve cosmetic surgery if it helps them.

I don’t have scars from accidents yet….and hopefully won’t. Not that I dislike scars, I just don’t want incidents that would disable me.

You wouldn’t know it from meeting me but I was hit by a car as a pedestrian when I was a teen and have fallen a few times from cycling over ice over the past years.

No my scars, are from having imperfect skin ( I had bad acne as a teen and that was a huge deal since it meant dermatologist visits, medication, etc.) I have found meeting other women who had bad acne as a teen, are different in their perspective how they become more easily comfortable in their natural physicality as a women as they age. Just my opinion. Their scars are still abit on their face, but they never take their other good physical features /good health for granted.

Getting scarred when you’re a teenager can change a person by giving them a bit more perspective.

Huh! That is so enlightening. I had acne when growing up. Luckily I don’t have too many scars, but I think you may be right about what we accept of our appearance. Pretty cool really!
      I agree about burn victims. Oh man. That has to be the worst of all.
      Cycling over ice! Wow! I grew up in Wisconsin and lucked out with that kind of accident…
      Thanks for stopping by!

8. timethief says:

You are wild and weirdly wonder-filled woman and I love you. I don’t want any physical scars removed. The last head injury I suffered not only left me scarred but also changed my perspective on life and appreciation for every precious moment so good came from bad.

Most emotional scars have healed and I’m healing those that remain.

But if I awoke one morning and wrinkles around my eyes and bags under them were to disappear I would be okay with that. (Vanity will be among the most difficult things to let go of before I pass on.)

Love yah right back! I found your blog after you helped me get out of one WordPress tangle or another.
      I loved your blog for the reasons you just listed. You have a great outlook on life and it comes through in your words. :)
      That sounds like a wicked head injury. Living each day to the fullest is truly the best!
      I am with you on the subject of wrinkles and bags. I have managed to accept some, but it is the hormones I have kept at bay. Thank the Lord! …runs off to knock on wood…
      Thanks for commenting! I know you are busy… :)

9. Mark says:

Susie, I just stumbled across your post and I loved it. You are so right our scars are the story of our lives. We must be thinking alike because I posted a blog about my scars two days ago > http://malekoarts.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/2-different-stories-of-scars/
    Thanks for sharing!

It is ironic! I focused more on the surface stuff. I really was bummed when a couple of mine had faded. I didn’t realize how important some of their stories were until I wrote this!

10. robincoyle says:

Me. Ten years old. Jump rope on the street. Fall. Gash on my knee. Still there. (When did I start writing like this? I sound like Hemingway.)

I love the Hunger Games trilogy, thanks to my daughter. But I’m right there with you on the scars idea. No way I’m parting with mine. Each one tells the story of a time, place and purpose. Render me naked, and I lose those stories. Nope, won’t do it.

You could be rendered naked and still have the scars… And it sounds like some of your St. Patty’s Days have ended up that way! :)
      I agree. No one is taking my scars. I pointed out a freckle on my hand and my dermatologist froze all of them off! I wasn’t sure that I liked that either!
      Thanks Cayman!

I was not a risk-taker by any means, so I don’t really have a lot of scars. There are a couple where I do remember how I got them, and they’re interesting maybe even humorous stories. But I’m not necessarily ‘attached’ to them (pun intended) and I would be okay if they disappeared one day.

They will probably will fade.
      I remember really wanting to get rid of some of mine when I was younger, but I always loved that skateboarding scar. :) Now I really don’t want to part with any of them, except for the ones from my war with rose bushes. Those are the worst! And they hurt like fire.
      Thanks for coming by!

13. pegoleg says:

I don’t have many scars because I was a cautious child. But it’s funny how I remember each of the marks on the perfect skin of my children – evidence of their pain hurt me more than my own.

I was thinking about that today. I will always have the guilty mother complex about a few of my kids preventable accidents. But that’s a part of life too. Forgiving ourselves…

14. Smaktakula says:

This is something I’ve thought about actually. I love my scars. Scars are a reminder that although life can be cruel, time smooths things over.

I need my scars too, Susie.
    We can be damaged together!

I guess it would depend on the battle from which the scar came. As for mine, I would keep them all. Although, many seem to have faded over the years. It’s the deep ones that stay visible. The darkened skin or freckled skin look, I can’t see them anymore. :( Honestly, I don’t miss my 501 cat scratches. :D.

17. I wouldn’t. I also keep my gray hair. I have a closet full of memories I’ll keep, even though some of them don’t fit any more.

Your metaphors never disappoint! That is a great spin on them. When looking back, the emotional scars, definitely don’t fit. I have changed and grown through the years. The surface scars still fit me to a tee! I will always have a little bit of an impulsive and reckless nature.
      I love my scars, but my grays had to go!
      Thanks for coming by! You are a busy lady!

Morning! No, I don’t mind my scars; yes, they are who I am, who I’ve come to be. The one by my eye is from dancing around showing off to my grandma when she walked through the door. It did land me in the ER at 6 years old and the only thing I remember is the big white overhead light. Now, I have some facial ones I’d remove in a minute, probably should, I just need to know who is the best or a good place to go. Then again, I just thought of a couple more I have, oh well.

That’s a much better story than the rose bush that clawed me above my eye!
      There is a trend to have perfect skin and many of my friends would love it. I am torn about it. Sure I would love to have unblemished skin, but my scars? I am truly bummed that they are fading. I suppose after writing this, I will get a whole bunch of new ones! Oh no! Hahaha!

19. So true Susie. Each of my scars has a pretty interesting story to them. Although you would think one scar might teach you a life lesson, I have a few around the same bad ideas. But they are great conversation starters! Great post Susie!

That’s why you keep hurting yourself! :) I had heard that “the universe” keeps putting us in the same situations until we learn from our mistakes. Isn’t that scary? I wonder what my thick skull isn’t “getting?”
      Thanks so much!

20. Brian says:

Let’s see… I have a small line across the bridge of my nose where I bumped into a steel beam about 12 years ago. That was one of two times I’ve ever had stitches. It doesn’t bother me at all, but nor is it a badge of honor; I could keep it or give it up.

The other time was when I cut my thumb open with my father’s pocket knife at 5 years old. I wish I could have that scar taken from me. It is painful–not constantly, but if I bump it on something, it is overly tender, like there’s a little nerve out of place. It’s almost like the “funny bone” in your elbow, but much smaller.

There are a few others, but none really noteworthy–if we’re only counting physical scars. Now, the emotional ones are another matter…

Those stories will be part of you forever.
      I think when I was younger, I would have wanted to get rid of my scars especially the ones on my face. Now that I am older, I am glad they remain. I don’t have any that still give me pain. Most of that is from internal wear and tear!
      Thanks Brian!

21. Thought provoking post Susie. Back in the day I had a surgery scar in a pretty intimate place that scored quite a hit with chicks but it is now faded. Looking back I suppose it was my lucky scar. I cannot say the same about today’s age spots and skin tags, but I’ve reached that stage where I’m okay with being loved for what’s left of my mind.

22. Surgeons are getting better and better at not leaving scars. My 6 hour surgery in Oct left practically an invisible scar yet it’s taken me months to recover from everything that happened internally. Then just yesterday I returned to the arm and hand surgeon and the first thing he looked at – post 6 weeks surgery – how fast was everything settling down to look good! Don’t I get bragging rights on the 18 inch cut going from about 9 inch above my elbow and then going through the elbow and on down towards my hand. I mean really – that deserves bragging rights. And then to think he re-arranged the nerves in my right hand. I still can’t use my right hand but the scars look pretty darn good. Enough about surgical scars – it’s the scars from real life events that I remember the most.
    I’m not going to touch the emotional scars – but your writing is eloquent. This piece you wrote so needs to be in a book of affirmations or some place where others have access to it.
    And on the subject of memory loss – you may remember my blog when I wrote about our coping with my husband losing 55 years of his memory. It’s now been a little over 13 years and everyday something happens that reminds us of that one fatal decision made by a greedy medical professional.

Wow! I got shivers from your comment!
      That is so nice of you to say Sheri. You made my whole week! Maybe I will compile an inspirational book someday.. :)

I remember the story about your husband. That is so sad and infuriating.
      You definitely get bragging rights! You go girl! That is quite a surgery they performed. I am so glad to see you back here and typing! Welcome back!

23. I’m keeping mine! They’re great for those awkward moments of silence in a conversation. Of, course I’m kidding…well, maybe. Outward or inward they tell our tale…scars of necessary reminders of how far we’ve come.

Exactly!
      That would be so funny. I will have to do that sometime as a joke.. ****awkward silence**** Hey! Did I ever show you the scar I got when I slipped on the ladder at the swimming pool?? ****more awkward silence**** :)
      Thanks for coming by Lisa!

24. filbio says:

No way! Mine are here to stay. They are a recording of one’s life history. Scars from sports, dumb fights, klutziness, and drunken idiocy (I have a few of those!) that come from a lifetime of experiences. It makes you who you are, and some bring back memories that do make me laugh!

I am glad you are with me Phil! That’s how I feel.
      I bet yours would tell some amazing stories! I always think of guys as being more into the scar bragging, but I remember Jonesing after a few of my girlfriend’s appendix scars. I gotta believe it had a lot to do with having the experience of going to “the hospital” and the attention it got later…

25. Here we go with my stroke again. Since my stroke, many of my emotional scars simply don’t bother me anymore. The physical ones can disappear; that’s okay; they are still in my mind and should be for quite some time. But, yes, the reasons for the scars make me who I am and I am pretty happy with that.

26. Scars are like body memories. Unlike mental memories, they don’t go away as fully. Speaking of memories, I vaguely recall a song about scars by a band called Poi Dog Pondering. I don’t remember that much of the song, but it echoed the same sentiments as your lovely post.

Thanks so much!
      They are reminders of our past and how far we have come. In my case, when writing this, I realized how much I was influenced by that day. Vague recollections of those boys and how they helped, poised me for other major challenges. Even though I crashed and burned, I tried….

27. Alas, the scar on my chin from being pushed down the stairs when I was two and the one on my calf from getting careless with an electric edger have faded to oblivion. Still got the stupid one from falling off my own back steps and hitting my wrist on the edge of the brick ledge. Sorta wish I still had the others, too.

28. Beautiful post. Now inventorying (a word?) my scars….

29. I think I would keep most of my scars. However, there are a few that need to go away because they are reminders of painful illness.

Loved the post. I’d never give any of my scars up. I’ve got them on fingers from fifteen years in kitchens, on my legs from being a youthful klutz and one neat one that goes straight through my navel from emergency surgery.

31. viveka says:

Scars … don’t we have them all … have scars from burning myself as chef.
    I have scar on my foot from coral infection, when diving … I have scare from I don’t … operation as young for something big that wasn’t suppose to be on the inside of my right leg .. and I have the scares from my tumor removal by robot … 5 small scars and … I my appendicitis, they all have a story to tell .. so take them away out of the question.

I love your list! Lots of close calls. Coral! My son has those scars along with a long list of others…
      The scars I could do without are from rosebushes. They really don’t go away for a while!
      I am glad you agree!

32. laketranslations says:

What am I, an alien? The only 3 scars Ive got are courtesy of my C-sections!
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece of writing, Susie.

Awww! Thank you!
      You have to start living larger! Hahaha! I remember wanting to put helmets on my kids when they were little because they fell so often…
      Great reminders of your children!

• laketranslations says:

“You have to start living larger”. Thanks for the tip. At 58, let’s say it’s rather late, lol. I was raised NOT to run any risks. Literally. My mother (a professional figure skater) refused to even let me try her skates on. My youngest daughter, on the other hand, didn’t ask for permission: one day I found her “skating” in our rug-covered living-room – one bare foot and the other one in her sister’s skate, that was like 8 times the size of her tiny foot. She was exactly 18 months old. A year later, while we were having dinner, she tried to grab some champignons off her sister’s plate, dragging plates and glasses in the process and falling off her chair. She ended up in hospital with a hand dripping blood… and not one single sliver of glass!

Now that’s what I call a spitfire! Hahaha! It must skip generations… :)
          My dad always wanted me to get a motorcycle. My mom could have killed him!

• laketranslations says:

Huh… motorcycles. I’ with your mom. I totally hate them. The professional champignon thief (now 21) was hit by a car while riding hers today. Fortunately it was in the heart of the city at a time when it is packed with people and traffic, so both must have been driving at 10 miles/hour tops.
            “My mom could have killed him!”
            I would have gladly helped her, LOL.
            Have a great day Susie, and thanks for taking the time to respond to each and every message.

I hope he/she is alright! That will shake you up anyway.
              I never did learn to ride a motorcycle, but it is on my bucket list. Don’t tell Mom!
              My pleasure! Thanks for coming by!

• laketranslations says:

She is alright, thanks. She didn’t even fall.
                Don’t worry, I won’t tell your Mom. Daughters of the world, unite! (Is she like mine, who still tells me what I “should do”?)

33. Susie, the story behind that particular scar of yours was no surprise. You were a wild rider even then! I am in complete agreement about scars telling a story. My favourite is the one that reminds me how my son came into the world. :-)

34. marydpierce says:

I’m with you, Susie. I’ve never thought of getting rid of my scars (wrinkles are another story), and I, too, remember getting every one. Like yours, some have faded to the point I have to really look to find them, and some will definitely be with me until the end. My biggest scar is on my right inner thigh. I reminds me to listen when someone says, don’t climb that tree, it’s rotting and the branch will break! (I didn’t and it did and when I landed I impaled my thigh on the broken branch. THAT scar ain’t going nowhere!)

And by the way, I love, love, love your self-portrait. Very nice, you talented lady!

Oh Thanks Mary!
      Impaled thigh???? Ouch!!!
      Listening is a great lesson to learn early in life. I think we all must wear a scar from sometime when we plowed ahead… :)

35. Great thought-provoking post. Like most other adults, I too carry many scars…from a one-inch one on my forehead that I got at the age of two from hitting my head on a paint can to a six-inch long one on my abdomen from a messy appendectomy surgery at age fifty-six. Add several other abdominal surgeries that left huge scars and throw in a couple of knee surgeries that gave me huge scars and I’m pretty much scarred all over…but these scars all have stories to tell about my life and how I’ve survived thus far.
    Sure, some days I think it would be nice to have a body that is smooth and scar free but at my age I figure that anyone who dares to love me will have to love the real me–and the real me has been around awhile with the scars to prove it. And don’t even get me started on the emotional scars I have–would need to write a book length comment to tackle them. :)

I LOVE it! That is what they are all about for me too. We weather all kinds of mishaps and surgeries along with pitfalls in life and we heal from all of them or at least they fade over time.
      I would love to read that book!

36. Brigitte says:

Imperfections are what make people interesting. I’ve got a white scar on my leg from when I was a young teen. I used to mow my grandparents yard for extra money and a barb wire fence bit me. I didn’t get stitches and it’s now a kind of raised scar that lightens up in the summer. I like it — it reminds me that I’ve always wanted to make my own way, even then. :). Great post, Susie.

That gave me shivers! I am not sure if it was the barbed wire, or that you have always wanted to make your own way! Kidding. I am sure it was the latter…:)
      I think it’s cool that you have a moral to your scar. Nice!
      Thanks Brigitte!

37. Jess Witkins says:

I’m with you! I know I got some of my scars from really stupid accidents but they hold stories and survival for me. They make me different and I love them!

That is a great point. We’ve all had so many different experiences.
      I just thought of something. It reminds me of the survivors from Auschwitz that had numbered tattooed on their arms. I would think they would have been a badge of survival for some of them.

I am glad we are here to tell our tale!

38. I wouldn’t get rid of my scars – or the memories associated with them – either.

Good to hear that!
      I think I have been a dare devil since I was a little kid and they have kept me in check. The emotional scars have shaped me too. I keep on learning!
      Thanks Michelle!

The memory of things giving rise to scars both mental and physical will remain. The scars themselves are best gone. I see them as blemishes rather than badges.

40. Loving your post and no I would not give my scars up because they tell stories about my life and the many adventures where those scars came from:) You were a little dare devil on that skateboard! My best scar is on my right thigh – 3rd layer of skin with a muscle impairment and nicked the vein in my leg – my brother impaled me on the fender of the boat trailer when I was a pre-teen – was on crutches for some time – boy did he do anything for me with his guilt – ha! Have a Great Day:)

41. I wouldn’t trade my stretch mark scars for anything! :)

Nice post. (I want to see those freckles)

Thanks Ted!
      There are a million of them from too much sun over the years. That’s the problem with being born before sunscreen! I thought about taking a picture, but opted out of the “Hey look at this scar,” zone…

43. We both have skateboarding scars…:) I have a scar between my eyes that reminds me every single day to choose your mate wisely.
    I am with you.. they are part of our lives.
    HUGGGGGGGGGGG

44. My scars are my battle wounds, hard won and worn with honor. I’d no sooner trade them than I would my children. Sure, some of them are hideous and in places that I’d rather not show in public, but I’ve learned to love them. Each one tells a story. It’s my story. My life. Let’s just say they knew my name at the local emergency room. Yeah, I was ‘that kid’. :)

Hahaha! I love it Tameri. I have more than a few too. It’s funny how when searching for them yesterday, I was reminded of all those different times in my life. It all came back to me!
      I am so glad to hear that you can relate!

45. I love my appendectomy scar. I think scars make us who we are, and in many cases, are reminders that our lives were saved. :)

46. I love telling the story behind many of my scars (I was a tad accident-prone) however, if I’m honest, I would happily live with a lot less stretch marks. When you’re 5’3″ and have an 11pd baby – your body just isn’t the same. :/

Stretch marks are like blemishes. I can do without them too. 11 pounds????? …whoa….

Scars are the bookmarks on our body that tell a sometimes very harrowing story.
      Thanks for reading Lisa!

47. Averil Dean says:

No, I’d keep mine, too.

Have you ever noticed that almost every man on the planet has a scar on the end of his chin? My husband got his from an overturned four-wheeler, which also split his lip in two. My son, who just turned 11, already has his—fall from a bike, if I remember correctly.

That is so true, but my son’s stitches are on other parts of his head. My daughter has one under her chin….
      She hated it back in the day, but I don’t think she minds so much anymore. I read her this post yesterday and she said she would keep hers too! Thank the Lord since I always feel guilty about the accidents they had when they were little.

48. I feel the same way. I wouldn’t trade scars. They are memories on my body’s canvas. Great post!

49. Scars are natural tattoos – with history and meaning, too.
    Got a laugh over the skateboard story. We were so cool going down the driveway on the wooden boards with rigid metal wheels. (My older college age brother(the enforcer) kept saying I was going to break a arm/leg/head…it was like that Christmas movie with the Red Ryder Rifle…nag, nag, nag). The new boards look so much different

Natural tattoos. I like that!
      Those metal wheels made it so much tougher. Nylon came out in the 70’s and now they ride like Cadillacs! I picked up a pint-sized one for Roxy and will have to teach her how to ride! I still need to learn too…
      Thanks Phil!

50. Wow, great post. I would definitely not give them up. Not one. My kids like to hear my war stories of roller skates and climbing trees.

51. Susie i want to hug you so much for writing this beautiful post and sharing the scars with us .
    I have three and i wouldn’t part with them. They are memoirs on my body. Each with a story and tons of memories. One on forehead, one just above the right eye and one on wrist.
    scars are different they are not dark spots or pimples. Or blemishes. I wear them with elan :)
    Big hugs sista. You are just the best :)

Thanks Soma! I am so glad that you understand my post. That is exactly what I am talking about. The blemishes and spots, I could do without, but I proudly wear my scars! :)

52. I earned every last scar and would not want to forget the lessons. Nice post. – John

What a coincidence – I was just talking with Ming last night about the importance of scars as a way of remembering – fantastic post Susie – love it!

Great post Susie, and I totally agree that we are the sum of our life experiences. It makes you, you and me, me. I have several tiny scars, and one whopper on my right arm that is an inch deep – that one almost put me six foot under.

Oh wow. Now that sounds like a story. I looked for my puncture wounds from my heart surgery, but they healed up too!
      Thanks John! I am so glad you are still with us!

55. Awesome blog. Nope, no way, wouldn’t part with any of them. They remind me of different parts of myself, and why I am the way I am.

56. Loved this, Susie. It’s so true, it’s the scars that make us who we are, we need the good and the bad. It’s funny how I now view my scars as something I’m proud of, something that reminds me of the good I have in my life. How far I’ve come. Must be getting wiser along with older.

I think we are so very wise Darla! :)
      I remember comparing them with friends. “But look at this one!” Hahaha! I wish I could say that as I get older I get less reckless….
      Thanks for reading on this fine morning!

57. Ouch! I remember a skateboard fall that put me off trying again. Did you ever do it again?

I feel your pain!
      I don’t know if you have ever skated with metal wheels, but they don’t roll properly.
      I’ve tried since and haven’t given up yet! I think a long board would be easier. I think there’s one in the garage…. :)

• marydpierce says:

Check out this wonderful long boarding video. It’s a favorite of mine, not the least because of the song in the background – Swimming Song by Vetiver. You’ll love it! Maybe we should have a long board party!

Love the video! Let’s party!
          We live on a hill and once in a while kids will come and board down. I will have to join them some day! That would raise some neighbor’s eyebrows….