An Open Letter to Prince Harry

Dear Prince Harry,

It has come to my attention that you will be visiting our fair state this weekend. As your motorcade drives to Colorado Springs from DIA, I am sure you will be struck by the impressive beauty of the Front Range and the Rocky Mountains.

sunset

You will be attending the 2013 Warrior Games. According to the Colorado Springs Gazette, “The teams compete in seven sports – archery, cycling, shooting, sitting volleyball, swimming, track and field, and wheelchair basketball. The event is designed to help the recovery of the 260 wounded, ill, and injured servicemen and women participating.” You will be a spectator at the Olympic Training Center for a volleyball exhibition on Saturday and a cycling competition at Falcon Stadium on Sunday.

These are all well worth your time and yet a thought occurred to me. After traveling thousands of miles across the world for these wonderful events, why not sneak out of the Springs on Saturday night to stop by one of the jewels of Colorado?

The Boulder Flatirons

Boulder is by far one of the must-see attractions of our state. It boasts the University of Colorado’s red-tiled roofed campus complete with the Flatirons rock formation in the backdrop. Our college co-eds are the most attractive in the country. No, I am not biased because my daughter attends the University.

Chautauqua

It is within walking distance of many hiking trails. I am sure after being cramped on an airplane for so many hours your secret service would appreciate stretching their legs while taking in the fresh mountain air and views of the Boulder Valley.

It is home to Pearl Street, an outdoor mall filled with eclectic people, shops, buskers and musicians.  After your hike and shopping you could relax in one of Boulder’s popular micro-breweries.  I think they may give England a run for their money, but hey, you can prove me wrong.

Pearl Street Mall

You have probably heard that marijuana use has recently been decriminalized. Although lawmakers are still working out the details, you won’t get arrested for inhaling while you are visiting.

Boulder is considered a foodie town which means it is home to many amazing restaurants, some of which are the finest in the country.

There is a wide range of choices for nightlife including DJ’d nightclubs, roof top bars and places to enjoy local bands.

dj ksmash

Before returning to Colorado Springs, I would recommend stopping by one of our specialty cupcake bakeries open late in case you get the munchies.

Prince_Harry

You will be glad you came to Boulder. If you get into any trouble for upsetting the royal itinerary, I would be happy to take full responsibility.

Unfortunately, my unmarried daughter is out of town this weekend. I don’t suppose you would consider extending your stay through Monday.

Sincerely yours,

Susie Lindau

Prince Harry’s photo from Wikimedia commons

This entry was posted in Humor, Life, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

103 Responses to An Open Letter to Prince Harry

1. hahaha You are SUCH a mom! (in all the good ways!) Too bad you didn’t include a pic of said daughter so that she could be even more embarrassed. Good one Susie. :)

Wonderful letter, Susie. Oh,to be a fly on the wall wherever the prince is hanging out. ;)

3. This is one terrific letter. In case Prince Henry doesn’t stay over to meet your daughter, this letter is one heck of a sales pitch for your city. Of course we’d rather Prince Henry hung around enjoying the mountain air and such until your daughter returns for the proper introduction.

4. Jessica says:

Oh to be in Colorado this weekend! Though for my boyfriend’s sake, it’s probably a good idea I’m in California. ;) Hope you eat some Harry sightings, Susie!

I am headed down to Boulder now, but I don’t think anyone would see him until much later. It would be amazing if he did show up!
      At least your boyfriend can sleep soundly! :)

How could he resist? If he can’t make Monday but wants to meet her, MAYBE she could manage some rescheduling?
    Don’t blame Harry for the hair. It goes with being royal and getting big-headed so they grow through it. (Hey, I’m a royalist, actually.)

Hahaha! I will be waiting to see if he makes a Royal appearance. We just got a visit from Julie Andrews (this year’s commencement speaker). She hit Pearl Street and kissed the buffalo on Thursday night! You never know…

I loved London when I visited, and I learned the currency thanks to my frequent pub visits (What’s not to love about that?). But if we’re talking spring time, I’m gonna go with you as my travel agent. Nice letter, Colorado.

7. Susie, you always make me smile! :-)

8. You are hilarious! What a great love letter to Boulder. I really, really hope Harry reads this and comes for a visit. Especially since you made it quite clear that marijuana is legal now. That slays me! Oh, my dear sweet Susie. I love you so much, you have no idea. Can you extend your stay until Monday? Classic!

Hahahaha! Writing the post cracked me up, but the comments are hysterical!!! Thanks for the FB love Tameri! Love you too!
      Wouldn’t it be something if he showed up on Pearl Street tomorrow night?????

9. Are you going out to see him? Maybe you could slip him a note with your daughter’s phone number and a picture.

This was a really cute post, Susie.

10. spoken like a mom….
    well said…exclamation point

11. Brian says:

If he’s got any sense at all, he’ll take you up on this!

I think he should too! Maybe it is on the Royal Itinerary already. Fingers crossed!
      Boulder’s not that far from the Springs and it is so boring down there in comparison. We’ll see!

12. PapaBear says:

If you aren’t a contributing writer for the Colorado Bureau of Tourism, you surely ought to be…, The city of Boulder especially !!! This was a fun post, Susie. Say hello to Harry for me!
    Paul

Thanks so much! It was a fun one to write.
      I know right??? I should get paid writing at some point in my life!
      I actually really love it here. You will have to come out Paul!
      I will high five him for you!

13. I am not certain England could handle you as a royal mother-in-law…

Hahahahahahhaha! Hahahahahhahaha! Still laughing. These comments on this post are so hilarious!!
      Oh my God!! I would not fit the Royal Mold and would have a serious problem with protocol!!! To start with, I am waaaaay too out-going and friendly to wait for security screenings like they warned in the Colorado Springs Newspaper.
      Still laughing Scott…. :)

14. Offer him a hair restorative and he’s all yours Susie!

15. iskdfine says:

Lol, I love you woman! Boulder sounds amazing, I hope to see it one day. :)

Thank you so much! I am glad you stopped by to read. :)
      Boulder is gorgeous. It is a beautiful spring day, perfect for a visit from “His Royal Highness.”

Come by for a visit! There is much to see and do. It is only 25 minutes from Denver too!

You’re such a good Mom, Susie!

Thanks Hook!
      My daughter died laughing! I caught her at the airport and read it to her before she flew out. She said that as long as I didn’t mention her name, I could post it. Hahaha!

17. STAR MAGAZINE: Prince Harry Takes A Wild Ride With Boulder’s Local Susie Lindau.

Hahahahahahaha! Hahahaha! Haha! Okay I had to breathe! You are so funny… I’m ready. I’m dressed and have gas in the car. My cell phone is charged for snapping loads of pictures…..

“Come to Boulder Harry. You’ll have a blast!!!”

18. Even if Harry doesn’t come calling, Boulder’s tourism bureau should seriously consider hiring you to write copy, Susie. At this moment, even I want to visit Boulder and I hate traveling above 96th Street in Manhattan! I echo all who give your photos A Big Thumbs Up.

Oh hey thanks! I had to get out of my jammies yesterday to run downtown and snap that photo of the Flatirons. There was a lot of moisture in the air, so it had to be tweaked a little.

Today the sun is shining and the air is crystal clear. It is a magnificent day for the arrival of a Prince.

Sheesh. I am still cracking myself up with this stuff! Hahaha!

Come to Boulder V! It is a place unlike any other…

19. The Rider says:

oh how I wish I was HRH Harry just to see your beautiful state! Any billionares- a plane ticket there would change my life!

It is a life and lifestyle changing place! The sun is shining today and everything is greening up after such late snowfall, but much needed moisture. I am sure he will love it! Maybe he’ll come back to ski this winter!
      Thanks Rider!

20. Sold! Can I come??? :) Lovely post, Suzie. Prince Harry would be lucky to hang out with you!

21. I hope he takes you up on your invitation! Can’t your daughter cancel her weekend plans? :)

22. EagleAye says:

Fantastic pics, Susie. Are all these yours? You definitely got me interested when you mention micro-breweries and foodie town. Just my kinda place.

23. Sophie Moss says:

My mom was pretty intent on me getting together with Prince William. Then Kate came along. Who could compete with Kate? She’s the classiest princess ever! So what’s a girl to do but check out the younger brother? Harry does seem to have more fun, doesn’t he? Haha! Great post. Loved the pics of Boulder. I’m actually coming to Boulder at the end of this month for a couple of weeks of vacation! We should meet up for a beer if you’re in town. :)

24. filbio says:

Boulder looks amazing. The countryside looks so beautiful and that hiking trail pic looks awesome. Harry is a partying dude and would enjoy all the craft beer out there. Heck, I’d like to go drinking with him. I’d probably get him in way too much trouble though!

You would Phil! We would have to bail both of you out! Hahaha! It is beautiful out here. I took that picture of the Flatirons this afternoon right before it rained and now it is gorgeous!
      That hike is right up behind the flatirons!
      Thanks Phil! Let me know if you ever come out this way!

25. Harry has always been my favorite prince. Maybe it’s the fact that he’s a loveable rascal or that he just seems so full of fun. It’s too bad your daughter won’t be in town to give added incentive. ;-)

She is flying back in Sunday night. Maybe they will meet at the airport…..:) I will be picking her up so I will let you know!

• Will do. Hope she does… Maybe he’ll whisk her away with him. (Hopefully she remembers to call you on her way out so that you don’t worry.) Anything’s possible. I’ve run into some very interesting people on planes…

26. You are a HOOT – ha! Love, love, love your post – needed a good laugh this afternoon:)

27. Wow! You make me want to visit!

28. That top pic is beautiful. Needs to be painted.

rofl at your advice on pot.

Well it’s true actually. As long as the person is carrying a very small amount they can’t be arrested. Can you imagine a picture of Harry smoking a joint in Boulder??? :)

30. Emma says:

As always, your pics are stunning.

31. You think Prince Harry is going enjoy smoking it up? Having a little dubie? ;)

32. claywatkins says:

Now wouldn’t that be cool. Waiting in line for my frapuccino @ Starbucks!

It would be really cool. I am charging my phone so I can take pictures, I have a full tank of gas, and am keeping my eye on #boulder #Harrysightings on Twitter just in case!
      Have a sip for me Clay!

33. Susie, I heard a rumour from one of our UK friends who has a direct line to the Palace that Harry was timing his visit so he could attend one of your Use Me and Abuse Me Parties in person! Get ready!

Hahahahahaahhahhahaha! Still laughing….. I better throw some appetizers together and get to the liquor store right away! My son can DJ. I think I still have a bolt of red fabric downstairs so I can roll out the red carpet! Still laughing….. :)

• Sophie Moss says:

Hahahaha! That is hilarious! I can only imagine Harry at one of Susie’s parties. Think he might be one of the guests who takes the party bag and runs?

34. Harry – she’s right. Boulder is…is…well if you can’t find something to make you happy in Boulder, you have no chance at happiness anywhere.
    And Susie would be the perfect tour guide. She’s a mom – She’ll keep you out of trouble.
    (But please, promise to keep the sunshine and all a secret, OK? Let everyone continue thinking Boulder is a rustic snowbound isolated outpost)

Shhhh! I won’t tell anyone either Phil.. Hahaha! It’s true about happiness. This is the most beautiful place with so many fun activities to enjoy. I should really keep it on the down low….

35. marydpierce says:

Nice try, Susie. Let me know how it works out! ;-)

Wouldn’t it be so funny if he did cruise through town??? With everyone having a camera at their disposal, we would all find out! I would be down on Pearl Street in a heart beat. I will have to watch Twitter….

36. pfstare says:

Haha. He might be the more interesting of the two princes Susie, but I’m not sure I’d want him near any marriageable age daughters I had!

37. Hahaha! Great post, Susie, and those photos are awesome!

Thanks Lynn! I just got back from taking a photo of the Flatirons and then it poured… I saw the news this morning and had to write something. I thought Denver? Colorado Springs? Why not Boulder???

38. You allow us to pimp our stuff on your site now and then, so I suppose it’s only fair that you be allowed to pimp your hometown, even if it is too cold to support human life.

39. let’s hope he doesn’t hang his” boulders” in front of the camera again in your fair state and send his grandma to an early grave.

Hahahaha! You are so funny! Hopefully, the royal boulders will stay under wraps, but I wouldn’t put it past him to take a quick trip to Boulder. The Springs is really boring in comparison!

I’m not Prince Harry but I’ll show. You’ve convinced me.

41. CC MacKenzie says:

Haha! Great post, Susie. Fabulous snap shot of the environment! The boy needs the love of a good woman. She’ll need nerves of steel!

42. Too funny! Oh to meet Prince Harry wouldn’t that be cool.