The Boob Report – Bosom Boosting Buddies

Bosoms. My sister Patty and I broke out in fits of laughter after one of us said that word. We shared a bed when we were little girls and were supposed to go to sleep after the lights went out.

It referred to our private parts; our undeveloped breasts modestly covered up at all times even though we only had flat nipples like little boys. We thought the word was naughty. My mom would hush us and again we would whisper, “Bosoms!” until tears ran down our cheeks and we couldn’t breathe.

There is something very antiquated about the word bosoms these days, but there is nothing antique about the feeling of having close friends or bosom buddies.

A few days before my surgery, a couple of my girlfriends threw a Boob Party Send Off for me. These were uncharted waters, but they responded to my sense of humor.

sweet boobies

Karin, the hostess, went all out and bought everything to make cupcakes. She sent the project to another friend of mine whose daughter bakes. Ale said, “I’ve decorated a lot of cupcakes, but these are my first nipples.”

Titty cupcakes

Ale, yours truly, and Annagiulia

Johanna created a boob matching game. Most of us recognized the women’s cleavage, but the man boobs proved to be quite difficult. “Geez guys. Hit the gym! Oh. No. Not you Daniel…”

Match the Rax - Man boobs

Match the Rax

Can you guess?

Judy had a canvas wrap made of my Boob Report picture. Yep. It is on my mantel above my fireplace in my living room… Where else would I put it?

These women are bosom buddies. I am so grateful I was able to laugh about this insanity before my surgery.

bosom buddies

Bosom Buddies

A few days later, I discovered that I had over 40 bosom buddy bloggers.

A positive rush hit me the moment I woke up the morning of my double mastectomy,sentinel node surgery and reconstruction. I felt elated. It was as if I was going to a spa, or Paris, or to a party in my honor, not major surgery.. What was going on?

I was unaware that BrickHouseChick from Swimming to my 50’s sent emails to many of my blog followers. She asked them to write #SusieStrong posts to inform their followers about my surgery. Many asked them to pray for me or send out positive vibes to give me strength through my surgery and recovery.

It worked!

Some of these popular bloggers have thousands of followers. Between all of the posts and reblogs, Facebook updates, and Tweets, the message to pray for me went out across the world, exponentially!

I floated out to the car, smiled and joked with doctors and nurses. I didn’t know why, until I started seeing email alerts for #SusieStrong posts with pingbacks to my Boob Report. I knew exactly why I was so peppy, happy and energized. Prayers and positive energy reached me before my surgery.

A fabulous group called the MyWANA’s jumped in and joined the #SusieStrong party headed up by Kristen Lamb. Talk about the message going out across the world. It almost went viral!

This is a group every blogger should belong to. You can check out their site here and use #MyWANA on Twitter to introduce yourself! WANA means We Are Not Alone. It is a group for writers and bloggers. Believe me, once you meet this group, you will never be alone.

When I started to feel down the following week, I felt an energy boost which buoyed me back up again from the hole since many of you continued praying.

After the surgery, I read a few posts, but had to stop. Crying hurt as much as laughing. My sutures run four inches down from armpit to armpit under my skin and across each breast. There are three layers of them!

I asked the nurse how many stitches I have.

Can you guess?

She said there are probably close to 1000 of them. A 1000??? No wonder I am heavy-headed. All the blood is in my chest and it’s struggling to pump to my brain! I feel like someone wearing sand paper gloves keeps pinching my boobs, my fake-out boobs. “Stop that!” Or like I have two big conch shells glued to my breasts and the underside and edges are covered in rhinestones. Not bad considering the surgery I went through and I am only on Tylenol and Ibuprophen.

I will give you my update later. Back to all of you!

I believe a miracle took place.

The two biopsies put my Oncotype around 26% for cancer recurrence according to the Mayo Clinic. That put me in the “gray area” for chemotherapy to reduce my risk for recurrence. After the surgery, my percentile was halved at 13%! I will always believe it was because of you!

I will cherish the Facebook notifications, private and text messages, emails, phone calls, flowers, and cards. I plan to make a binder of them along with print-outs of all of the blog posts and comments. I will never be able to express my gratitude. I can only say once again, thank you so very much for everything.

Me and Karen

Me and Karin

Danny was in heaven. Karin organized dinners for the first two weeks after my surgery. We have such amazing friends!  For me, it was also a chance to catch up with my girlfriends. Since I had only been out twice since being diagnosed back in April, I looked forward to the doorbell ringing.  I don’t know who was more hyperactive; me or Roxy! We both went through gourmet dinner withdrawal this week.

This is an amazing writing community. I have been humbled and honored by each and every one of you. It amazes me how everyone came together to help me fight the battle against the bitch, the beast, I mean, breast cancer.

If you ever have to face a challenge like this, and I pray that you don’t, I would highly recommend sharing your story with your blog family. That is what we are – your family. We are real people who can make a difference.

At first I wasn’t sure if I should blog about my diagnosis with breast cancer.

I shared the bad news with my immediate family. My kids were heading into final exams. I didn’t want them to stress out, so I kept it a secret.

I came up with the idea of The Boob Report right away. Weeks later, I sent an email to a few of my blogging buddies to inform them of my “situation,” and to see what they thought about The Report. They encouraged me to forge ahead along with the publication of my book. I can’t tell you how relieved I was!

I told the kids on Mother’s Day. Hey. It was the only day we could all get together.

On May 18th, I teed up my first Boob Report. I planned to post it and then send an email to a few friends and blast on Facebook and Twitter. I was so scared. I had trouble pulling the trigger. Then I got a call from Annagiulia. I explained what was going on and she encouraged me to press “publish.” The rest is history.

Everyone needs support while going through life’s challenges. It may be hard to put it out there, but you won’t regret it. Your blogging family will be there for you too!

The boob support I have received has been immeasurable! I would call it quadruple D. You are the underwire in my bra. The pad in my push-up. The adjustable straps lifting me up when I drooped.

boob support

Here is a list of my Bosom Buddy Bloggers who wrote #SusieStrong posts organized by BrickHouseChick. If you are not already following them, you should subscribe today. They are the best!

These Wild Riders are linked to the post they wrote.

Alarna Rose Gray

The Hook

The Inner Wildcat

Visits to the Park – Bulldog

Viveka – My Guilty Pleasures

Words from Anneli

Zannyro – A Window into the Woods

This does not include reblogs, but believe me, you are most appreciated!

If I missed anyone, let me know and I will add you to the list.

To everyone else who read or commented and sent positive vibes and prayed, thank you! I truly believe that my excellent prognosis is because of you!

I will update you soon. I am recovering waaaay too slowly for my impatient, hyperactive, Wild Riding soul…

Do you feel like you have real friends here in the blogosphere?

You already know my answer!

Related Posts:

The Boob Report I – Roadblocks and U-Turns

The Boob Report II – Laughter is the Best Medicine

The Boob Report III – Post-op

The Boob Report IV – Coming Out of the Haze

This entry was posted in Boob Reports, Humor, Life, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

194 Responses to The Boob Report – Bosom Boosting Buddies

1. Pingback: 2013 – A Year with a Mean Streak | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

2. The online community never ceases to amaze me, and your story about feeling all those good vibes is really wonderful.

Thanks so much for stopping by! I have faced all of this with humor since the first dreaded phone calls from the two Evelyns! It is pretty easy to laugh. Some of these situations are ridiculous!

3. Pingback: The Boob Report – A Sticky Situation | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

4. Susie, I am just getting caught up on your WILD life and I am not at all surprised to see that you have bloggers and friends coming out of the woodwork to support you in this time. You are a truly inspirational and special woman! Also special: the nipple cakes!

5. Oh Susie, I love, love, love you so very much! You have no idea how happy I am to see you back to blogging and getting on with everything. 1000 stitches? Oh holy heck! Keep up the positive and humorous attitude. We’re all here for you (even if we are 10 days late on commenting ~ I totally thought I already had, ugh. Stupid vertigo).

I love Renee’s quote ~ she’s your best bra. I’d like to join the bra brigade! I’m here for you, full of love and support, and of course all sparkly too!

Thanks for being the pad in my push up Tameri! Your humor has been great medicine though this strange journey!
      I could feel every one of those stitches for a while. I haven’t taken any meds today except for Tamoxifen. Yeah! And double bonus, I went to PT and she focused on massage – heaven…
      Soon we’ll be in Europe. Things are looking up! (so are my new ridiculous boobs…..)
      I haven’t been on my computer very much. I think many are away with vacation.
      I hope you have fabulous 4th of July plans!

6. Pingback: What’s Your Sexual Personality Type? | August McLaughlin's Blog

7. Pingback: The End is Near (and we deserve it) . . . The Underwear Flask & the Wine Rack Bra « Bayard & Holmes

8. You are amazing, y’know. So glad you are *bouncing* (ha!) back so well. Please see my Susie Strong blog post at http://magoffleash.wordpress.com Take good care of yourself.

It’s a circular thing, really – no, I don’t mean a boob! :) You were seen as a person sowell worth supporting, with your courage and positivity, that the support was forthcoming.

10. Julie Catherine says:

Susie, I truly believe half the battle is won with a positive attitude – and you have that in spades! I’m grateful that you’re sharing this process with us, and allowing your friends to add to your support system. You are much loved, and we all continue with our prayers for your full and speedy recovery! Love and hugs from Julie xoxox :)

Thanks so much Julie! I have always been an optimist. I was amazed at my doctor’s reaction. It was as if I was the first one to ever joke about breast cancer. I probably am! Leave it to me to be different! :)
      Love and hugs right back atcha!

11. mabukach says:

You are awesome, Susie.

12. So good to see you doing so well, #SusieStrong! You continue to be an inspiration to all of us!

13. This bloggy community is the best there is. Such great news about your Oncogene results!

It truly is the best! I couldn’t believe how my Oncotype was reduced by half! Amazing. I still can’t believe how lucky I am. I think it is due to this amazing community!
      Thanks Madame!

14. So glad you’re up and about. Don’t push yourself my friend. Impatience can seem unbearable, but please take care of yourself. Rest and enjoy being waited on for once in your life.

Thanks for keeping us updated. It’s so good to hear these success stories. A good and positive attitude going in can change the outcome dramatically. Don’t push your luck, lady!

Stay strong.

You are so right about the impatience part! That is a virtue I don’t seem to have. :) I hit the three week mark last Friday and that was my first really big leap.
      I was born on the right side of the bed and am such an optimist. Positivity just comes naturally!
      Don’t worry! I am still taking it easy. Promise!
      Thanks so much Patricia!

15. Pingback: The Boob Report – Roadblocks and U-Turns | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

16. Thanks for being a inspiration and a bosom boosting buddy to all of us, Susie! Fight on to a full recovery :)

17. I’m glad your recovering well. Your an insperation :)

18. timethief says:

I’m never gonna give up loving you and hugging you from afar, Susie.

19. Thanks, as *always*, for letting us learn from you. I join with all of the others who are rooting for your complete and speedy recovery and hoping that you know how much you are cherished and cared for at all times, not just now when you are so acutely aware of the need. Health to you! Blessings! xo

This is so sweet Kathryn! Tears welled up in my eyes. I am so grateful for you and everyone else who have sent well wishes, positive thoughts and prayers. They really have meant the world to me!
      Thank you so much!

1,000 stitches? That’s your average Susie Wild Rider post, actually. You’re looking great, mama. But I could have done without the Guess the Rax segment of this show, the guys part. Blessings and love.

I was surprised at the man boobies except for Daniel Craig and Jack Nicholson!
      I have felt every one of those stitches at one time or another. I had a “fill” today, so that puts a lot of pressure on them. I am just about done with that part. Whew!
      I’m looking forward to a much better July! May and June are a blur! But believe me when I say it is a happy blur with all the support I had. I will always be grateful.

21. Go Susie! That’s a great sendoff for your friends to organise and yep, when I was a kid I thought bosoms was hilarious too. Hope you’re feeling less sore now! love rose

The word “bosoms” still cracks me up!
      My friends are the best and the party was the perfect distraction for me. Thank you so much Rose! I am getting stronger every day. :)

22. Strength in numbers Susie! And it’s obvious from these many comments, the Blogoverse and Twitterverse that you have received the love girlfriend that has given you the fortitude to stand strong. #SusieStrong! Thank God that you have kicked Cancer in the butt and will be strutting your new boobies with plenty of style! I hope hubby and the family are well. You’ve all been through a “Wild Ride” that’s for sure. Love the cupcakes, but I still adore the pic with the flowers the best. That will be one I’ll never forget. You’re adorable girl! Please continue to get plenty of rest as your body is still healing from major surgery. And let me tell you from experience in this household, that it takes a while for a full recovery. So don’t get frustrated if you have some ups and downs. It comes with the territory. But you are doing very well. I am thrilled for you! Take care! Mwah! Love, Karen. :)

Karen you have been such a great support! I feel so much better this week and am looking forward to getting back to my normal life. I have been careful not to strain myself so I am motoring! Well not fast, but it won’t be long… :)
      All my prayers were answered. For that and all my friends, I will always be grateful!

23. lynettemburrows says:

Susie you are a super star! I’m awed by your courage and humor. Fantastic posts & updates. Heal well, my friend.

24. I thought I’d already commented, but apparently I hadn’t. I really love your indomitable spirit. I’m so glad I “found” you. :-)

25. maesprose says:

I am so happy to see you are up and at it again… just don’t push it. You’ve got some healing to do! Keep on laughing Susie and count your lucky stars.

26. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery, Susie! Sending huge (but gentle) hugs . <3

27. They say laughter is the best medicine, Susie, and you’ve proven that saying right. :) Keep on healing and getting strong, girl!

Thanks so much Sheila! I was born with a funny bone, so it all comes pretty naturally. :) I keep experiencing ridiculous and hilarious moments that I have to share. More to come!

28. zannyro says:

Just wanted to let you know that being the incompetent techno person that I am…I gave you a shout-out on my blog, but didn’t link it properly….Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you and praying for you as you underwent surgery…….I was thinking of you yesterday and wondering how you were doing…Thank you for letting us all know how you are..and I’m so glad that you have such a powerful force of prayer and love carrying you through this…xoxo You’re my hero :)

I am so sorry that I missed it! Thank you so much. I am up in the mountains and on an iPad I will try to figure out how to copy and paste to link your post and add it to the list. Thank you so very much! All of our prayers truly worked!

29. Aw, Susie, it’s wonderful to see you here, your perky, fun-loving self, with your rockin’ humor and your inspirational words. I’ve been thinking of you and praying for you every day. Your friends are awesome to throw you that party. The boob cupcakes are a riot, and that game, how clever to come up with that! I’m so glad you received so much support, so many people praying for you. I believe in miracles and I thank God prayers were answered for your healing. I know your boob reports will help many others as they struggle with their own trials. My friends’ sister just had a double mastectomy Thursday, and my friend is going to refer her sis to your posts.

And thanks so much for including our blog links here!

These lines are my favorite part of this post and are perfect examples of your awesome humor: “You are the underwire in my bra. The pad in my push-up. The adjustable straps lifting me up when I drooped.” You’re brilliant, girl!

Thanks Lynn!
      I do believe in miracles and I believe I am living proof of one! My hope is that I can spread a little sunshine to those who are terrified of the whole process. I hope your friend’s sister is doing well! The first five days are pretty rough since it is a shock to the whole system. The cool thing is every day gets a little better which gives us hope.
      Thank you so much for the prayers. I swear I felt them! You are the bestest Lynn!

30. I’m thrilled to hear you’re doing so much better! Those cupcakes are hilarious, and we could all use more friends like that when life gets tough. Thank you for being willing to share your story with all of us.

They were hilarious and so delicious too! :)
      Thanks Marcy! It was a shock at first, but I’ve had such an unusual reaction to all of this, I just had to share. Besides, I keep finding all kinds of “boobie material!” Someday, I’ll have to try stand up!
      My blogging friends and real friends are the BEST including you of course!

31. LuAnn says:

This is one of the most inspirational posts I have read Susie. You had so much love and support surrounding you, as it should be when someone is faced with this devastating news. Prayers and positive energy being sent your way for swift healing.

32. Sophie Moss says:

The boob cupcakes are hilarious! So glad you’re back to blogging and feeling better, Susie. :) What a wonderful support group and family of bloggers you have. It really is amazing how the internet can pull people together from all over the world. Thinking of you and sending more positive healing energy your way. :)

The cupcakes were majestic! Hahaha!
      Thanks to everyone, my recovery has been steady. Now that I have passed the three week mark I am really starting to get back to a little normalcy! Thank you so much Sophie!

33. Beth says:

Susie –
    So glad to hear that you’re recovery is going well. I couldn’t agree with you more about the power of prayer. It is amazing and I hope you can continue to feel the love, comfort and support that everyone is praying for you. I think of you always and will bring you a meal as soon as I get home next week sometime. Ill be in touch. Take care of yourself!!

I have really turned a corner. It took the full 3 weeks!
      My recovery has been so great and steady because of all those prayers and positive vibes!
      Thanks so much Beth!

34. Hi Susie, well I feel a little weird saying “wait I wrote a post too” but I just looked back and I didn’t link it properly because I’m definitely techno-challenged! :-) Because this is really about you… and the inspiration you have become for so many out there… seriously… you have. But I wanted you to know I was thinking about you. Glad to hear you are making such amazing progress and I look forward to your continued uplifting BOOB reports! (yes, pun intended).

Thank you so much! That is soooo cool! I will definitely check it out. I get a pingback if it is to a particular post.
      I am feeling so much better! Now I can finally think straight, well sort of straight!

You are so wonderful Susie!

36. PapaBear says:

Keep on keepin’ on, Susie. Take care and be good to yourself.
    Paul

37. Great update! Continuing to send you healing Reiki vibes! Love the cupcakes.

38. Austin says:

I say a prayer for you every night before bed. I hope the guy upstairs is looking out for you as per my instructions! :)

39. Denise Hisey says:

What an awseome follow up, Susie!
    You do, indeed, have incredible bosom buddies.
    As for the blogging community, I would agree it is incredibly wonderful!!

40. I’m so glad you’ve had such great support through all of this and I’m really glad you’re doing well!

41. Aw. I laughed and teared up reading this, Susie. You are an inspiration, and I’m so honored to be part of your boob-lovin’ possie! Take best care of you, okay? I know rest isn’t many writers’ strong suit—but we need ya! Lots of love. Thanks for linking us all up!

Glad to link you August! I think we all have an amazing community here and I am so thankful for all of you!
      My boobie possie is the BEST!
      I can feel myself getting sucked back into the internet vortex. It is all good!
      Thank you so much!

42. Great report. Thanks.

43. Michelle says:

Well I can’t figure out any of the man or woman boobs in those pictures, haha. I’m always and never amazed at the power of prayer and love. I’m so glad you are recovering, slowly but surely. Recovering is good. And I’m so glad you hit publish. That is as brave a thing as facing this crisis with humor and spunk. But it means something to us that you shared it, and it could mean something huge to someone who reads this and says to herself, “maybe I should go in for that mammogram this year after all.”

Thanks so much Michelle! I know that the prayers and energy helped me and are continuing to aid in my recovery. I count myself very lucky to have such an amazing community!
      I guess I was more afraid of the association of breast cancer and what that would mean to my brand, but looking back, it was the best decision I could have made! I don’t think my prognosis would be as good as it is without all of you.
      I am glad that my message of hope is out there!

44. You get what you give Susie, which says a lot about you my friend. I think of you ever single day and can’t wait until you’re well enough to share more with all of us.
    I am elated, but not surprised, that you are surrounded by such wonderful souls….the boob cupcakes are seriously the bomb.
    Be well : )

They were the bomb! Hilarious!
      I think everyone has built a community here in addition to the friends in real life. I had no idea how important it could be in my recovery! The comments from all these Boob Reports have been so healing!
      Thanks again Lisa!

45. pfstare says:

Amazing post. Your love of life spills from every word. It’s not a very British expression, but you rock Susie :-)

46. Reblogged this on .

47. Great news Susie! I think you may have a point about all that positive energy aimed at you and for you from all over the world.

48. I’ve always heard “To have a friend, be a friend.” You’re such a wonderful friend, this is why you have so many. And we all love you.

49. Keep on keeping on my friend! It looks like a Wild party! I hope you are feeling beter and better.PS I like a good firm muffin!

My muffins are hard as rock! Hahaha! They will “soften up” after the expander/silicone exchange coming up in September… :)
      It was a Wild Party!
      Thanks so much! I hope all is well with you!

50. filbio says:

You have such a wonderful support system of friends, family, and bloggers. The power of such love and caring is a big part of recovery. The doctors report was such good news too. So glad to hear that your are beating this.

Also, some of those guys boob shots should have had them in a “man bra”!

This community is the BEST!
      Danny made a funny joke about the man bra! Hahaha! I have to save it for a blog. Some are just plain disgusting!
      Thanks for your support and tweet outs! It really helped me through this crazy time. It feels good to be cancer-free and my strength is really coming back. Yeah!

• filbio says:

Great to see you recovering nicely. My dad had lung cancer and is now clean so I know how it goes. I am also running in a Warrior Dash on Aug 3rd for charity – St Jude Children’s Cancer Research Hospital. I have been training hard for it to be in shape so I survive! Here’s the link to my blog post in case you want to read about it –

Thanks for your posts. Hope you are doing well! It’s a process!;)
    There are so many ways to share our lives and it takes a very special person like yourself to be the big cheer leader. Blessings. And love …xxoo
    You’ve helped me to be encouraged and be out here and blogging. I’m writing and loving it. I’m out on the wings of a big jet seeing the world and giving of myself. See ya later.

Cool! I hope you have a wonderful adventure once you land.
      Thanks so much! I am glad I have kept you going. I can’t imagine NOT writing unless I am in a drug-induced state like I was up until recently. I still don’t know how I wrote those last two posts. They took days! Hahaha!
      Blessing and love to you too!

52. marydpierce says:

Bosom, bosom, bosom. I love that word. Made me giggle as a kid, too. My husband’s grandmother used to say refer to herself as having an “aggressive” bosom. (It was that.)

So glad to hear you’re doing so well. Not surprised, though. You DO have a lot of love and support because you are an amazing person! This post is a classic – clearly there’s a lot of oxygen going to your brain.

Welcome back!

53. bulldog says:

I was so pleased to see a notice in my email that you had a post out… Linda and I have poured over it and you sound as strong as … I want to say Ox… but not sure how that would sound.. so instead I’ll say you sound as strong as my wife… a beater of the bitch, beast or how did you put it.. boob cancer… we continue to support you with pray from South Africa… so glad to see you seem up and about… and Linda says from one survivor to another… you keep on kicking it ass…

I kicked its sorry ass out of my body, I am happy to say! Ox is good! I am glad to hear your wife is a survivor. That is the best thing about getting breast cancer. Most don’t die of the nasty disease.
      Thanks so much for all the boob support! I appreciate the prayers from South Africa more than you will ever know!

54. If I ever had to be in a foxhole, I’d want to be with someone as positive, able and upbeat as you, Susie. But, I think you’ve suffered enough, so let’s hope if we ever do meet it will be someplace above ground that serves wine and lifting a glass won’t make you wince. I am glad that your recovery is continuing to go as well as possible and that your friends in both the real world and on the blogosphere are so supportive. Here’s another dose of soot flecked good vibes from Manhattan!

Thanks for the soot flecked vibes! I used every one of them!
      I was amazed at the outpouring of boob support. It really did help me through this nightmare. I think I found something to laugh about every single day! Oh, the boob and nipple material…
      I am slowly catching up! I started at the top of the comments and the bottom and am making my way towards the middle!

55. Jenny Hansen says:

My online friends are some of THE BEST people I’ve ever known. I adore my online community, and that includes you, wild woman. :-)

56. gwynnem says:

I’m so glad you came through the surgery okay. Sending lots of goofy and upbeat thoughts your way.

I was wondering where all those “goofy and upbeat thoughts” were coming from!
      Thank you so much Gwynnem! I really appreciate all your support and positive vibes!

57. Jess Witkins says:

Beautiful post from a beautiful lady! I’m so glad you had a wealth of supportive friends both at home and in the blogosphere. We love you bunches!

58. Those boob cupcakes are awesome. I think it’s lovely that you did that with your friends. What a trooper! Love the blog title too, bosom is a really fun word it reminds me of Nora Batty from Last of the Summer Wine. Please tell me you’ve seen that. Take care!

I will have to look up that movie!
      Your poem was so touching. I absolutely loved it. You should enter it somewhere!
      The party was a blast and really took my mind off the impending surgery. The boobie cupcakes were divine!
      Thank you so much Catherine!

59. We’re all out here cheering for you only a keystroke away.

60. Susie, so glad to see that you are up to posting, and what a wonderful post it is. If I ever doubted the power of prayer and positive energy, I don’t anymore!

I’ve always felt that the WANA’s were a very supportive group but I was amazed at how we all came together to help you be #SusieStrong. You know the saying…well, I won’t go there, but it’s true that adversity does often make us stronger. I can see that is true in you and your family and friends, and in our WANA group.

I hope you do put these posts together into some kind of memoir because your story and your wonderful attitude would be an inspiration for others facing this. {{{Hugs}}} Keep on healing!!

Thanks so much Kassandra! The WANAs are the best!
      Brickhousechick organized Susie Strong Day. I just informed her about the WANAs. She is a new blogger and participates in my Use Me and Abuse Me days. The WANAs, being part of an amazing community, jumped on board and blasted it our there as well.
      I am so thankful for all the prayers since my outcome has been exceptional. The docs told me 8 weeks to full recovery, but my PT believes 6 will do it! Yeah for bike riding! We will be in Europe by then…
      Thank you so much for your support too! You are simply Mahvelous!!
      (Sorry it took me so long to work my way to the middle of the comments :) )

I’ll say it again, Susie: You’re my hero.
    A hero bleeds but forges on.
    A hero faces the music, regardless of the tone, and dances anyway.
    A hero is not the sum of her parts, but the sum of the depth of her heart.
    Be well, Susie.

That’s so beautiful Hook! I am glad for your wife’s prognosis! I had worried about you two…
      I would love to print all of these comments out and compile them.
      Thank you for being so supportive! (((hugs)))

62. viveka says:

Susie, as I said in my letter to you – there will be tears … but there has to be laughter and good sense of humor the next minute. And you my dear are the proof of the pudding – what a fantastic post and of course you should write about your situation and what you’re going through. I didn’t have a blog at the time, but FB and with my friends there – became my cheerleaders and because of them and my junior doctor I pulled through the rough times. But I was phsycially very lonely on my journey – only me on my own, but that made me strong.
    So take, use and abuse all the support you get through your real world and your world here.
    I wouldn’t mind one of those cakes. *smile

Thank you so much Viveka!
      I can’t imagine going through this without someone physically by my side. You must be FIERCE!!!
      It does make you stronger and it is important to allow others to help.
      The Cupcake is in cybermail! Whoooooosh!

63. Nia Simone says:

Susie, it is a privilege to know you. This is an incredible post. I am going through each blogger to follow. Thanks for finding me because you are a life changer. I am so happy you are fine. What a gift to the world. I always loved when you first came back online, two days after the surgery, I think, and said it was already fading in the rear view mirror. I always think of that when I’m driving and I glance in the mirror; I imagine you and how you charged through the experience and are leaving it behind you, retaining only the appreciation for all the love and support. Yes, a lot of people prayed and continue to pray for you, but you are the one who allows that energy to flow to and uplift you. You should feel proud of that because receiving all of that love was good for you but it also was good for us. We all went to a new level of feeling and understanding our connectedness. I was honored to be asked by Brickhouse to join in. You are an uplifter.

Between your heart and this, you are so strong and an amazing teacher. You have inspired and given courage to all of us through your openness, sharing and brilliance. And your energy has pulled together the best of the blogosphere. I’m amazed by all the comments and followers here.

With all my love and appreciation,

Nia

Wow Nia! Your words gave me shivers! You are so sweet and I truly appreciate every sentence. This was one of the gifts of getting this dreaded disease. Seeing this support was mind-blowing. I will always be grateful for each kind comment, prayer and positive thought. They all have meant so much. Thank you so much for your support!
      It still seems surreal, but my bionic boobs keep on reminding me it was very real! (They are ridiculous since they are as hard as rock and will be until the exchange with the silicone implant in the fall. I dug all the clean clothes out of the washer today and smacked my boob. Boy, did that hurt!)
      I am sorry it took me so long to comment. I somehow started from the bottom and then from the top. I had to work my way to the middle!
      I am still blaming the general anesthetic. I am sure I get a few more days leeway!

64. Sending you lots of love, hon. I caught on to the #SusieStrong the morning of the 31st and added you to my wine blog post that day. Oh, and I also had a mammogram that day! Strange timing, no? But I’m all clear – no bad spots. You are an inspiration! Hugs!

Thanks so much for the boob support Christine! I didn’t realize that so I added you to the list! Glad to hear you had your mammogram! That is ironic. :)
      I have been pretty sporadic when checking on my blog for obvious reasons, but am coming back more each day!

God bless you Susie! Glad you are doing well. I was wondering how you are, be well’

66. SUSIE STRONG!

I miss living in Denver even more than I used to. Why? Your local friends get to be there to deliver food, celebrate your strength with parties, pop in for visits. That doesn’t make cyber-friends less real. We just don’t get to eat Boob cupcakes.

That star of yours? It’s still shining. I’m still pinging.

I’m picking out a new one tonight for Marcia Richards. Those pings have to make it to New York.

Stay strong! Duh! As if you needed that…

You are #SUSIESTRONG

I agree about cyber friends and this amazing community! It is the BEST!
      I heard about Marcia! She slipped it out there after the surgery. I think I tried commenting twice on her blog and then spaced out. I will have to post something today! Thanks for the reminder.
      Love those pinging stars Gloria! They have made me Stronger!

67. Ha! – you have the BEST Bosom Buddy Support Group – loving the cupcakes – Good Luck on the Recovery Process!!! Happy Friday – Happy Weekend:)

Thanks Renee!
      i do have the best Boob Support Group and you are a part of the gang!
      It took nearly a week to get to these comments. I am coming around. FINALLY!
      You and the rest of the Wild Riders really came through for me. I really appreciate that!
      Happy Wednesday!

68. K.B. Owen says:

Woo-hoo, Susie! So, SO glad you came through this first part with flying colors! Love the cupcakes and man boobs, LOL. You are a special gal, and we’ve all been blessed and honored to be part of your journey (for me, a very small part, mostly praying and tweeting!).

69. Wonderful post. The support you received is fantastic. I hope you have a continued uneventful recovery.

70. christicorbett says:

I see my future in your story (my mom, grandma, and two aunts have had breast cancer) and you are an inspiration and a model for how to act/react for when it’s my turn down that road.

Kudos to you for sharing your story! Your bravery in letting the world know the behind the scenes parts of breast cancer is amazing, and I thank you for your courage.

Now on a much lighter note…LOVED those cupcakes!

Christi Corbett

Hi Christi!
      It may not be in your future… :) I am really big on over-sharing, but made the choice to put it out there since it has always been such a private journey. I don’t know if it’s the boob part or the BIG C part, either way, I am pretty different than most people!
      Thanks so much!
      The cupcakes were hilarious!

71. No kidding you are able to harness all the positive energy being sent to you. You are beautiful, wild and free.

I count myself really lucky to have fallen in with this bunch.
    And I’m ecstatic that there been nothing but good news for you since the surgery.

(So, are you getting a special boob hat?)

Me too! This bunch is the absolute best and you are a part of the gang!
      I am so lucky, but I think it is because of all the prayers and positive vibes. I have been lifted up by all of them!
      Tell me about the boob hat!!!!!!!!!!
      Thanks so much Guapo!

73. The Rider says:

You are one of the most amazing and gutsiest people I know! I am so glad you are going through this ordeal so positively!

Awwww! Thank you so much!
      I have gone down “the hole” a few times when wondering why this happened to me, but I pulled myself out knowing I could share my story and hopefully can help someone else who is terrified by the ordeal.

74. Susie – It’s so good to see you here. You’ve been in our hearts and minds and of course everywhere on the internet. My Miss Priss has rolled around in the wild flowers a couple of times on behalf of Roxie because she knows just how important light fregrances are during recovery. We’re betting Roxie has been on doctor doc alert the entire time. Prayers and wishes coming your way daily for a speedy recovery but one that’s also gentle to both you and your family.

Thanks so much Sheri!
      You went through some surgery too! How is your hand?
      I have been very careful and it is paying off. I am looking forward to a wonderful summer thanks to all the prayers and vibes! Give little Miss Priss a hug for me!

75. So glad you are doing well. Those cupcakes are awesome.

76. Brigitte says:

Susie, your spirit is tenacious and your strength, inspiring woman! I’m so happy for you and your attitude and grace is just astounding. You deserve all this blogging love — bask in it! Much love and light to you, my friend.

Thanks so much Brigitte! You are so sweet to say that. I have been equally inspired by all of you. I could feel the energy the day of the surgery and my body has been healing really well!
      Right back atcha! We can all use light and love!

77. I’m so happy to read you’re doing so well, Susie! Keep it up! I truly do believe in the power of positive thinking, prayers and vibes. This blogging community is special.

Thanks so much Darla!
      I can tell you it does work. I really was prepared for the worst and couldn’t believe how everything turned out! I still get a lump in my throat when I think of how everyone came out to support me.. amazing!
      Thank you again for the prayers!

The Wild Child is back!

79. pegoleg says:

Ah, Susie, I’m getting weepy reading about your funny/scary ride through this brave new territory. I’m keeping up my prayers and good thoughts; you keep on taking care of yourself and TRY not to do too much as you heal.

Your real-life friends sound almost as amazing as your blog-life friends. With this kind of support, surely your cup runneth over!

It has overflowed everywhere! At first I couldn’t help but share the SusieStrong story with anyone who would listen! :)
      I am being a very good little girl and am taking it easy. Thank you so much for the prayers Peg!

80. Hey, Susie! See? Your brain is not as blood deprived as you think! This was a wonderful post! Thank you for the thank you, I am so happy that you felt the love. xo

You will always be my hero! I will always be grateful for your amazing effort in looking up all those email addresses and organizing SusieStrong day! I am still so humbled by the response. All the prayers worked! I am living proof!
      Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

81. We all need our bosom buddies and yours definitely came through for you… those cakes look amazing and the games look like they were a lot of fun… could only identify Daniel Craig but then he was the only one who deserved a second glance! ;) So glad you are recovering and doing well, I believe a lot of that is to do with your own positive thought and energy aswel as all the amazing prayers and positivity sent your way from all over the world! You are an inspiration and WordPress is indeed a wonderful family! Blessings to you :)

Thank you so much! I agree that bosom buddies can get us though the dark days. :)
      This is the most amazing community and I will always be grateful for everyone! I think that is why I am sharing my story. I hope to encourage others to share their tough times and ask for prayers as well. It works!!!

• It is a wonderful community isn’t it? I too have been amazed by the way everyone is so supportive and encouraging, especially when someone is going through a really tough time. It restores faith in humanity and makes you realise that actually most people are really lovely! Thank you for taking the time and energy to reply, it must be difficult for you at the moment. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, blessings to you.

82. Piper Bayard says:

Love the cupcakes and the Match the Rax game. Only one I knew for sure was Dolly Parton.

Yes. There are real friends in the blogosphere, and this outpouring for you has not just touched your heart, but mine, as well, to see this kind of support come together. Many blessings to you on your journey.

Thanks so much Piper! It has been overwhelming and I will always be grateful for all my friendships. :)
      Dolly’s are iconic! Hahaha! There are some clues in what the women are wearing…

83. I was hoping you would write a book about this.. I am smiling.. I love you
    HUGGGGGGGGGGGG

Thanks Linda! I am going to compile all of these “reports” together and publish it next year. I have to get through 1 year first. Then I want to use the proceeds to buy a scanner for Boulder county. They are pricey, but a better way for women with dense breast tissue to be examined. I got the idea from a friend of mine who is doing the same thing in England!
      (((Big hugs to you!)))

• HUGS for you – and for this idea. It’s stellar. When you kick it into gear, please let us know.
        You’re a starry one – glowing into a guiding one.
        (and fun list – see lots of friends and a few new bloggers – thanks)

84. mairedubhtx says:

Love your cupcakes. Thanks for the updates. You are a remarkable woman. I didn’t do so well on the match-ups. I’m not up on my celebrities. You are still in my prayers, Susie.

At least I can answer comments now. Progress!
      I flunked the Man Rax, but I missed 3 of the women. 3 because I accidentally used one name twice! Sheesh! It was really fun!
      Thank you so much. The prayers are really helping!

85. Soooooooz! So happy to receive this ping while I am sitting at the computer. I love this report, and I love your update — and most of all I love that you felt the love. So glad you are doing well. You inspire all of us. You have to know that. LOVElove. :)

Thanks Renee! I so appreciate your support and check-ins! I loved that Tweet! You are so clever and hilarious!
      There is nothing like laughter to get us through the tough times. I am still coming up with material! Danny and I were in hysterics yesterday while waiting in the Docs office. I told him my latest idea about nipples! Oh yeah. We always raise a few eyebrows…and some people will never be the same like my poor landscaper and his buddy. I waaaaay overshared when I was still high on Oxycontin!
      Thanks Renee!!! **smooches**

86. Love the cup cakes! Now every time somebody says the words “cup cakes” I’ll break into giggles just like you and your sister did over the word “bosoms.” I hate to think what our friends would come up with for cup cake decor for prostate issues…ahem.

87. Go Jules Go says:

I have way too much to say to this gloriousness. You are such an amazing woman, Susie!! This outpouring of support is a true testament to what a wonderful person and source of inspiration you are.

I am seriously stumped by the man boobs. Like, seriously. I’m disappointed in myself. I might need to numb my pain with the meds you’re NOT taking.

Aaaaaah! Thanks Jules! It is because of you that I am rocking through this. My doctor calls me his, “superstar!” Remember that SNL skit with the goofy girl that always said that? That’s what I think of! I was and still am shocked by all of the support, but I can tell you that it really helped me in ways no one will ever understand.
      I flunked the Man Rax test! Daniel’s and Jack’s were the only ones I got right! Help yourself to the “Oxy!”
      Thanks again Jules!

88. This gave me goose bumps!! I made a boob cake once, for my ex-husband, when he had graduated from a military academy. It was a challenge! lol So glad to hear you are doing well. The power of positive thought is amazing!!

I bet your “beefcake” loved the cake!
      I was thinking about it last night. It wasn’t that I chose to face this with humor, it’s just the way I am. And don’t even get me started about nipples now that I don’t have them! There’s more to come!
      Thanks so much!

• I too, find that laughter makes life so much easier to deal with, and I think the situations that seem the worst, are the ones that need it the most! Continuing to send positive thoughts your way!!

89. Friends? Family?
    Is there a difference?
    No…not in our house.

XXOOXJots/Raye

90. adinparadise says:

Wow, you really did have the most wonderful support through all this, Susie. I love the cupcakes, and they look delicious as well as cheeky. :) I’m sure I recognise Daniel Craig’s DIVINE chest. Not sure about the others, but no-one else really counts, do they? :) So glad you’re recovering well. *hugs* to you.

I continue to have great support and it wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t share my journey. So many women keep it private and it is their choice. I am very open and am so grateful for all the prayers, help, and support!
      Daniel’s chest was the easiest to spot. The rest? Well, I didn’t win!
      Thank you so much!

91. yourothermotherhere says:

The cupcakes are beautiful except they look like rolled up condoms to me with a reservoir tip!