Two Jews and a Blonde or Partying in Downtown Los Angeles

After my daughter, Courtney’s phone interview with a California company, we booked a last minute trip. You never have to twist my arm to come to the land of sandy beaches, amazing seafood, and beautiful people.

I called my friend, Jan McCarthy, who lives in downtown Los Angeles. Luckily, she was in town since she hops between LA and Boulder. The last time we visited, we went clubbing. I made all kinds of new friends and had my first Red Bull! We call Jan The Mayor since she knows everyone.

photo (47)

Me, Courtney, Jan and Danny in her loft.

Top of the Eastern

We started with a tour and a view from the top of the Eastern Building.

Top of the Eastern 2

The Ace Hotel

The Ace Hotel

A view of the Eastern from the Ace.

DSC06315

The roof garden.

DSC06319

While touring, Jan was reminded of a party called, “Two Jews and a Blonde,” at the top of the US Bank Tower. It is the tallest building west of the Mississippi with 71 floors!

US Bank

We waited in line,

photo (50)

but the Blonde spotted Jan and we cut ahead of everyone. After two elevator rides, we reached the top!

The scene and…

photo (53)

the scenery.

photo (51)

Some of the guests hung out…

photo (60)

while I hit the dance floor.

photo (49)

We made a new friend…

photo (58)

and found our reflections.

photo (56)

After an invitation to an After Party, we descended to the ground floor with a warning not to overcrowd the elevator.

We found out why. One elevator got stuck and they called the fire department. Oopsy!!!

The Ace Hotel

We made it to the party at Faith and Flower…

photo (63)

where we partied with the Blonde!

photo (62)

Jan, Brian, the Blonde (Mitch), and Marni.

We may come back in July. I better rest up….

When was the last time you partied until 2:00 AM?

About Susie Lindau

This entry was posted in Life, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Two Jews and a Blonde or Partying in Downtown Los Angeles

The title alone was worth the price of admission, Susie!

2. It’s been years since I’ve been to LA and I’m delighted to see downtown looking so grand.
    I’m not exactly doing the party thing but since I have insomnia, I usually see daylight come each morning before sleep arrives. Now, that’s aggravating.

3. Great fun and cool pics! I love the one of you on the dance floor! I can’t even remember the last time I partied till 2:00 a.m. I usually poop out around 9:00 p.m.! LOL! I haven’t tried a Red Bull yet. How’d you like it?

It tastes like cough syrup!!! Hahaha! We had a great time. I can always keep going when I’m having fun. It killed me the next day, but it was worth it! :) Normally, I’m in bed reading by 10:00!
      Thanks Lynn! I LOVE to dance!

4. Aussa Lorens says:

That building looks amazing! And that’s way more fun than I’ve had in a while…. more importantly: How long were you stuck in the elevator?!?!

The architecture in downtown LA is amazing! They are renovating many of the old hotels.
      Thank God we weren’t stuck. I took the picture of the fire truck right after it arrived! That would have really sucked!
      Thanks!

5. Pleun says:

What a great friend to have ;-) I like parties, but now that I’m getting older I either forgot or I don’t have the stamina. Don’t know why I don’t do it as often as I should!! Good idea on the resting up haha ;-)

6. jbw0123 says:

2 a.m.? Um. Made it to 10:30 last night. Impressed by your fortitude, particularly since two a.m. is three a.m. Colorado time. Love the photo of the Eastern Building. From the outside it looks like something from the Wizard of Oz.

The Eastern is a spectacular building. There are some amazing architectural feats downtown.
      Our flight was delayed on the way home and we didn’t go to bed until after 2:00! That just kills me the next day. It doesn’t help that we are getting these crazy low pressure systems which are bringing in a lot of rain. Moisture of any kind is very good out here in the west!!

7. How fun to find you in my backyard, Susie! I know all the spots you enjoyed, but I can’t say I have partied in all of them! I typically enjoy Downtown more by day than by night, but once in a while…. :-) So glad you had a good time. And the photos are very nice!

Too bad I didn’t know you lived in LA! I organized a meet up. Next time! :)
      The clubs are such a scene and the Ace looked like it would attract a huge late night crowd! Thanks so much!

Loving this photo essay of your trip! I had no idea you went to the Eastern Building. We used to go down there back in the day when it had store downstairs … you know before they turned it into condos. And how did I know that you would be hitting the dance floor at the party? Definitely looks like you had a great time as did Danny and Courtney. :) Party on in L.A. :)

Hey Guat!!!
      The building has been renovated like so many cool buildings in downtown LA! We did have a great time including meeting you and dinner last night! We are at the airport, but there are tornados in Denver!!!!’

9. Where else can you go to a party and hug a cow? NOWHERE! The best times are truly those last minute plans. Glad you had so much fun.

10. So you parried until the cow came home and Moooved ya’ll outta there.
    What a great trip. (nice views!)

11. Sounds like you had a great time out here in SoCal, Susie! I’ve lived here nearly all my life and hadn’t even heard of any of the fun adventures you enjoyed. I guess I need to get to L.A. more, but the traffic and lack of parking always keep me away. :)

There’s tons of parking in the lots. We never have a problem, but traffic’s another story. SIRI is great about telling you the ETA with traffic, so there aren’t many surprises.
      I love it here! We are on our way home tonight! :(

12. Yahoo!! You dancing queen! I so wish we lived closer. We would be dancing 24/7! Fun trip! My brothers live in in Santa Monica and I’m dying to visit them! I went 5 years ago but am due for a trip ASAP! Did Courtney get the job? :)

13. Angelia Sims says:

L.A. is crazy, yo?!?! You are an animal and I LOVE it! What a fun and spontaneous outing. Good for you! If I didn’t have four dogs, I would totally do the same thing. I could definitely live in California. It is so fun. Good times! Love your shots. :-)

Thanks Angelia! You would have taken tons of pictures. The lights of the city are incredible! It was fun to just go. That’s how we roll while on vacation. We’re always up for FUN!
      4 dogs would keep me home too! Boarding Roxy costs a lot of money for a week!!! :)

14. pegoleg says:

How fun! Love the scenery, both inside and outside of the club. Is that a real cow???

15. LOVE IT!! Looks like quite a trip!

16. I think I was sick once.. Does that count as partying?:)

Looks like you had a great time..:)

17. Widdershins says:

A decade or so ago, and I’ve been so glad not to ever since … but then I’m a night owl and can be found writing at 2am! :)

18. Just the other night. Sort of. It wasn’t a party, exactly, but it was a girls night out in Melbourne-town, with cocktails and far too much coffee. And a pleasant jaunt around the streets wherein I realised I don’t know my city half as well as I used to. Much fun!

Good on you Alarna!!! Sounds like a fun night with your peeps!! It is amazing how all cities change with new clubs and restaurants. Downtown LA is transforming. I give it five years and it will really be booming!

19. Brigitte says:

It’s been a while since I’ve partied until 2 a.m., Sue but you look like you had a great time! I would have probably had to sit in that see-through dangling egg chair. Very coolio. :D

We did have a fun time! When we were in France and Spain last summer, we were out until at least 2 every night. So was everyone else! Restaurants don’t open until 9!!!!

20. I got so excited about your having such a great time! So glad. You took some wonderful photos, and I felt like I was there with you. Thanks.

21. Chaz DeSimone says:

Party UNTIL 2 am? The afterparty usually BEGINS at 2am.

22. You look marvellous! It has been a long time since I partied to any time, never mind 2am. I am often up that late but not partying.

23. jan says:

Such a fun wild night with you three! I love that you are always up for my adventures. Can’t wait till next time! xo, jan

24. I have not stayed out past 10 p.m. lately let alone got my boogie on – have to do more of that! Beautiful Captures – thanks so much for sharing :) Happy Week!!!

That party rose to great heights!
    Getting stuck after getting high downing Red Bull was a bit of a downer, though.

26. What a view of the city from that tall building.

27. ponymartini says:

You are a rock star. I would have fallen asleep at 11!

28. Great post! I LOL’d at the picture of you dancing. You are the best. :)

29. You had me at the title! I’m glad you had a good time!
    Diana xo

30. PapaBear says:

Isn’t CA great !!! Have some family in both the San Diego and Sacramento areas and love to visit them. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time out there. Must comment, Susie…, you have a strange taste in new friends ! Ha! :)

I forgot to link my last post about partying with Jan. We met some really strange new friends!!
      I love it out here. Being land locked and without natural lakes in Colorado, I really enjoy being near the ocean!
      You are lucky to have family out here! I would visit all the time! :)
      Thanks Paul!

31. joehoover says:

They don’t seem to have clouds in California! I’m in San Diego in October, probably popping to LA whilst am there

32. marcymckay says:

Last time I partied ’til 2 am was in October on vacation in Turks & Caicos. I never wanted to drink again….

It can be a killer! I only drank two glasses of wine. In that last picture, we are drinking huge goblets of water! Staying up late and walking for miles all over the city did me in! :)
      I would love to go to Turks and Caicos!
      Thanks for stopping by Marcy!

• marcymckay says:

I’m much more of a huge goblet of water kind of gal (takes too long to bounce back from hangovers), but sometimes you’ve just gotta….:)

33. San Francisco is the place you ought to be:) I’ve worked all night but partied…na.. (Btw you have a smile that melts ones heart)

34. Great fun! My sister is like Jan in London she used to get us into the funkiest of clubs.

35. kingmidget says:

Looks like fun and I can’t remember the last time I partied until 2:00 a.m.

36. Susie, Love LA (sometimes). Great night. Nice to know folks right? Thanks for the tour. (You look fabulous darling) *air kiss*

• Anonymous says:

I love a party animal. I did dance on a table (ok, it was a cocktail table) last year at a friend’s 60th birthday party & felt wild. My son is in Santa Monica this week, so say hi, if you see him at the clubs. He has my party gene!