Upstaging MJ on Bourbon Street – A Wild Photo Adventure!

We arrived in New Orleans and hit the street. After checking out the Oyster Festival, we had dinner while being serenaded at The Palace Cafe. I fell in love with the NOLA culture and its music.

serenaded

It was Saturday night and I had to find out what Bourbon Street was all about. While approaching the street, it seemed like Mardi Gras continued in full party mode. Music played through the open doors of all the clubs which lined the streets.

Huge Ass Beers

I pulled my husband, Danny into one bar playing one of my favorite songs, “Blurred Lines.” When the music slowed, we ran across the street. Bands, DJs and singers played with no cover charge. I was in heaven.

selfie on Bourbon Street

A selfie with new friends!

After we zigzagged the street and danced for an hour, I pulled Danny into a club where a beautiful black woman sang the blues. I noticed one of the scarves on her microphone was printed with pink ribbons. When she took a break, I complimented her voice and asked about the scarf. Her friend and aunt had breast cancer. It occurred to me that exactly one year ago, I had a double boobectomy. Wow! What a difference a year makes.

fab singer

We wandered next door where another beautiful black woman stood on stage. The place was packed with black people and I said to Danny, “I bet she’s an amazing singer!”

She grabbed the microphone and said, “I need a black man, a white man, and a white woman.”

I looked around and was the only white girl, so I volunteered along with two other men. I followed them onto the stage.

Michael Jackson Impersonators Unite

The music started. When the black guy grabbed the mic, I realized I’d made a terrible mistake. It was KARAOKE NIGHT! I frantically looked for a screen projecting the lyrics. There was none in sight. The black guy rocked out to Michael Jackson’s Don’t Stop ’til You Get Enough. He mimed the words and had all of Michael’s moves. I had one single thought. “Oh, why didn’t I ever learn how to moon walk?”

While sweating, waiting, I told the white guy that if I got one of Jackson’s older songs, I’d be okay. If the song was more recent, I’d be screwed. He promised to help me out and dance while I faked it.

The white guy was up next with¬†Billie Jean. “Why didn’t I get Billie Jean? I know that song!” I talked to the black guy and told him he had to be my back-up dancer.

And then, it was my turn. I couldn’t hear the music or the lyrics at first, but I grabbed the mic and danced. It wasn’t so bad. The crowd cheered me on even though I had no idea what song was playing. Then I recognized the chorus. “But if you’re thinkin’ about my baby, it don’t matter if your black and white.” Only I heard, “Blah, blah, blah my baby, it don’t matter if your black and white.”

I hung in there for a while and then faded. I looked back at the guys and they came to my rescue. It was WILD GREATNESS! The black guy grinded with me and the white guy danced all over the stage. Then the black guy grabbed the mic and finished the song! What a Wild Night!

NOTE TO SELF: Do not ever volunteer unless you know what you’re volunteering to do.
Pshh! It’ll happen again. I am waaaaay too impulsive.

The next day, Danny and I ate lunch in the French Quarter. A young lady, seated with a big group across the room, caught my attention. She stood up and pointed. “Hey! It’s Michael Jackson!” she yelled. Of course, I had to go over to talk to my very first fans. Hilarious.

And that my Wild Riding friends was my introduction to Bourbon Street and the first night in New Orleans. I lived to tell the tale….
Now I can add Michael Jackson Impersonator to my list.

My updated Twitter profile:

Twitter profile after Bourbon Street

Michael may still be rockin’ out in the great beyond, but he rolled over that night….

Are you impulsive?

This entry was posted in Life, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Upstaging MJ on Bourbon Street – A Wild Photo Adventure!

1. Pingback: Wordless Wednesday | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

2. Pingback: Travel Tips from a Colorado Wild Rider | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

3. Pingback: Gapers Cheat Summer! Another Wild Photo Adventure | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

4. New Orleans is such a blast! I am so due for a drinkfest there! Looks like you all had a great time!

5. Susie, I saw your party this morning and did nothing more than selfishly, ruthlessly, immediately post a mention about AmperArt (almost forgot the link–had to reply to myself!). But now I am back from helping out my own cancer friend (whom you helped immensely through your bubbly spirit), enjoying some quality time back on your latest post.

Am I impulsive? I accidently stumbled onto a nude beach once and within a minute that was the last time I wore anything in the sunshine.

Am I impulsive? How many assorted diner-style condiment bottles (old-school glass ketchup and mustard), salt and pepper shakers (many containing cinnamon, red pepper flakes, or oregano), and sugar pourers (filled with all sorts of stuff from sesame seeds to flax seeds to chia seeds) can one diner style table hold?

Am I impulsive? Don’t ask how I drank so many hurricanes in NOLA that I passed out between a suitcase and the little fridge in our hotel room.

And this is not being impulsive, it’s just satisfying my culinary curiosity: I had always weighed around 185, but after just one week in NOLA I returned home and had devoured my way up to 210 pounds!

I hope you enjoyed a beignet at Cafe Du Monde, especially while the street musicians serenaded you (I liked the guy with the duct tape holding his tuba together).

And the Pralines. I still crave those.

Glad you had a fun time, Susie. NOLA is a wild place, but I’m sure it was just a little wilder when you were there.

I’m going to have to do an AmperArt piece with NOLA or its food or music as a theme. I’ll let you know when that happens.

That would be great! I would love that.
      NOLA was a magical place. We did get a few beignets at Cafe du Monde! I skipped the pralines, but ate my weight in other fabulous food while we were in the French Quarter!
      Thanks for coming by today Chaz!!!

6. Pingback: Use Me and Abuse Me Blog Party! – Music in the Street Edition | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

7. jbw0123 says:

Hey Susie, you really got the “black or white” part of the lyrics down! Also, loved your milking the cow dance. You gotta have some thigh muscles to get that low!

8. Well look at you go girl! Hoofing it like a rock star. I guess you weren’t having any fun huh?

Way to par . . . tay!!! New Orleans is so much fun.

9. YOU ARE SOOOO THE SHIT!!!!!!!!!! OMG, Susie! I would have been right there with you, volunteering and then dancing up a storm. I knew you had the moves but chica, you really got down! Loved this so much!!! That’s what I call enjoying Bourbon St. This made my day. And, yes I too am very IMPULSIVE! xo

10. Anonymous says:

Love MJ! and I’ve always wanted to go to mardi gras–you make it look like such fun I don’t know if I can resist!

HA That was amazing! You rocked that stage and I particularly enjoyed your moonwalk attempt. Loved how you just went for it. You got plenty of MJ skills and yeah … maybe next time you might want to find out what your volunteering for … you never know … they might want you to breakdance :)

Awww! Thanks Guat! I have no shame, as you know!
      I never thought of break dancing!!! I would have gone for it and hurt myself! There really isn’t too much I wouldn’t try…. :)

12. Widdershins says:

Infamy, at last! :D

13. Love it… I LOVED it.. you go girl

14. Emma says:

Susie, you’re fabulous.

15. Sounds like fun, Susie. You rock! I have NO idea how many posts I may have missed but sorry to have been absent from the blogosphere recently. We were without internet for two weeks, and then I was in the US for nearly another two–yadda, yadda, yadda. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Hugs from Ecuador,
    Kathy

Thanks Kathy! Great to “see” you!
      I’m traveling a lot this summer with very sketchy internet and am about to go to the land of cheese and happy people. My parents don’t have internet! I think a lot of people are taking time off or cutting way back on blogging this summer, so no worries!

16. They say NOLA will show you who you really are. Wild Susie ( but we already knew that!)

17. I don’t sing or dance nor attempt to….I think the world is a better place with this version of me. You, on the other hand, can do both. Bravo!

I can carry a tune, but I didn’t sing. I didn’t know the words!
      Sunday night, I was at a party where one of Colorado’s most famous local blues singers, Hazel Miller, sang. She grabbed me while she sang Respect. Three other ladies joined her. Sad to say, I’ve never learned all the lyrics to that song either, so I mimed it!!! Twice in two weeks. CRAZY!!
      Thanks 1Point!

18. Oh, Susie. I just LOVE your spirit! I would have been up there dancing with you in no time. You’ve got the moves, woman!

19. NOLA is on both He-Who”s and my bucket list so I am thoroughly enjoying this post. You certainly have the movies, too, girl!

20. OMG that was awesome! You are so brave you rockstar you.

Oh my! I admire your bravery Susie! I would have shrunk away and boogied out the door. Toooo shyyyyyyeeeee.

22. Wow! Susie, you rock, girl. Michael, you never looked so good! A Wild Ride indeed. Thanks for making my day. :-)

23. You are way more gutsy than I am. Good for you!

24. What fun! Love watching the video. Looks like you had an absolute blast. When it comes to volunteering, I definitely keep quiet and prefer to watch from afar. And I am most definitely NOT impulsive; except for when I first saw my (now) husband and decided that I had to get to know this handsome man. But when it comes to partying, putting yourself out there and having fun it where it’s at. Well done!

Thanks Mariner!
      I had no idea what I would be doing. One time, I volunteered to hold a small platform with another guy for a man who stood on top and juggled sabers! I can be uncomfortable around knives (although I use them every day), and that’s why I volunteered! I faced another fear!

25. Love this story Susie! I think it would be a blast to hang out with you in N’orleans!
    Diana xo

Thanks Diana! It would definitely be a blast!
      Sometimes a trip has an impact and sometimes it just tweaks a traveler’s perspective. I was really blown away by this trip!

26. dmswriter says:

If it’s OK with you, I’m going to use “Wild Greatness” as soon as I possibly can. What a wonderful adventure you had – keep rollin’!! And yes, what a difference a year makes. :)

Thanks so much DMS!
      The guys were great and jumped in and helped me out. I’ll never do that again, I mean, I’ll probably do something silly like that again, soon….

27. Blogdramedy says:

You know you’re bad, you’re bad. You know it. You’re really, really bad.
    *grin*