Gapers Cheat Summer! Another Wild Photo Adventure

Summer began last Saturday and many of you probably gardened,  went to a farmer’s market or festival. I did what any Wild Rider would do on the first day of summer. I skied!

My husband, Danny, and I wore “gaper” attire for the last day at Arapahoe Basin. According to the Urban Dictionary, “A gaper is a skier or snowboarder who is completely clueless. Usually distinguished by their bright colored clothes and a gaper gap or the gap between goggles and a helmet or hat.”

photo (94)

Who knew we’d be color coordinated?

photo (93)

It was about 65 degrees on the bottom, but the temperature dropped on the chairlift.

The conditions appeared to be more than a little thin.

photo (95)

Gapers ruled at the top of A-Basin!

photo (92)

A brave soul glides across snow melt on the first day of summer. The ski patrol called it clown skimming.

photo 1 (2)

After skiing the last run of the season, we found the Blue Ribbon Bacon Tour in Keystone, Colorado.

photo (89)

It was a bacon-eating, rock concert kind of afternoon.

photo (91)

We decided our gaper attire may not fly,

photo 1 (3)

…so we toned it down.

photo (96)

How did you kick off the first day of summer?

This entry was posted in Life, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Gapers Cheat Summer! Another Wild Photo Adventure

1. Snappy colors would be a hit on Miami scene !

2. I am, mostly, an indoor bird, so the day passed without much attention from me.

3. Those noses are wonderful! They are perfect for a bacon tour. OK, I’m not really sure what a bacon tour is but, well, just say bacon and people come running.

4. Ally Bean says:

I’m learning so much about skiing by reading your blog. Skiing for me would be hell [slipping and sliding downward], but I can see that for some of you crazy people skiing is fun. Could I just go for the food + drink, skip the skiing altogether? That I could do. ;-)

Blue Ribbon Bacon Tour … Holy Crap! Now that’s the best way to start any season! Good pic Susie and so glad you’re rocking those boots :)

6. pegoleg says:

On the first day of summer I looked a lot like you. Minus the ski outfit. And the bright colors. And the snout. And plus a lot of sweat. So almost exactly the same!

7. Well, I don’t know about summer (what possessed you to go to the snow – haven’t you had enough cold??). But in a way, I’m bucking the norm for me this year by starting winter with a new workout regime. Usually I don’t move during winter, so that’s a pretty good omen for me :)

I have always loved doing the unexpected.
      Good on you, girl! I have started a new routine too. I usually play tennis on a USTA team during the summer and practice a couple of times a week. I decided to play once a week for fun instead and forego the stress. Instead, I’ve been walking and running a trail near our house. Roxy is so happy! :)

There you go, laying waste to the “same old, same old” routine. At least you did partake of one year round activity….bacon. Love the snouts, by the way.

I so envy you skidding around on planks! That really must be fun.

10. So much fun, Susie. And, love your get-up! Imagine, skiing in a skirt – of all things!! I noticed you brought some things from NOLA. Fedor, and those fantastic boots, too. Brave souls – skimming on such thin ice – er, snow. Great photos.

11. Oh Susie, you are just way too cool! I love your husband’s ski outfit. Those are definitely his colors. :) You two really know how to enjoy life! And bacon.

Danny’s brother gave him the one-piece ski outfit back in the 80′s. It is so retro!
      We really had a great day. Skiing AND bacon? How could we lose????
      Thanks Maria!!!

12. Love it. You look fabulous. I’m not a skiier as I’m not into winter cold sports but it looks like you had a lot of fun as you always do. Also, I envy you on that Bacon tour!

13. Love the bright colours! Fun start to the summer. We’ve already had some fun pool action.

14. “Clueless” You? Never (except maybe to your kids…) Snort Snort (stylishly)
    We used to call it Rock Riding, but there’s still quite a bit of snow – (I appreciate you tryiing to send it here – but it arrive in liquid form, It’s the thought…)
    After this it’ll be up Trail Ridge for snow views?
    Enjoy every minute of it ( like you needed to be nudged)
    Love the outfits! – ….mom always said during the rare frigid cold events that would hit here during the school year: “It doesn’t matter what it looks like, the important thing is to stay warm”…yeah, tell that to an insecure teenager…
    Susie Stylemaker for sure. Cool summer opener!

Thanks Phil!
      I didn’t give the outfit much thought. I grabbed the tie dyed tennis skirt on the way out the door. Next year, I’ll have to bring a feather boa!
      My biggest worry was that it would packed with people, but there wasn’t even a lift line!!!
      I’ve always been more of a trend setter than a follower. The New Orleans trip was a great reminder. That is a blog post in the making…
      Happy summer!!

15. What fun! Looks like an adventurous day. And love the ski outfits. We’re on vacation, soaking up pool time, warm weather, and heading to a cavern today (in TN).

16. You are just so cool Susie! I see you’re rockin those boots too …. awesome!

Thanks Lisa! It was one of the few times when I’ve been overheated while skiing and the first time I’ve skied during summer. It was way too much fun! Happy summer!!!!

17. jbw0123 says:

Glad you’re finding some use for those new NOLA boots. Rocker skis? Must have come in handy in the puddle- I mean snow melt. Happy summer! May we all celebrate the solstice wearing pig noses.

It’s mud season in the Rockies so they came in handy! It was fun to watch the clown skimmers. I think this was the latest I’ve ever skied even though A-Bsin has stayed open until the 4th of July!
      Thanks for stopping by!

18. It looks like you and Danny were in your bliss. The weather was gorgeous in Manhattan last Saturday. I volunteer ushered an excellent Off-Broadway play and then hooked up with a friend where we ate tapas and quaffed our first pitcher of Sangria of the season in the “secret garden” of a quaint Spanish restaurant in the West Village. Our tapas included dates wrapped in your beloved bacon.

19. ponymartini says:

Pig noses always elevate an ensemble to the heights of fashion awesomeness.

20. Denise Hisey says:

You are gorgeous no matter what, Susie!
    I started summer off with a 300 mile motorcycle ride! Hubby and I took our bikes on a loop around the Mt Rainier area that day. We had about 4 feet of snow at White Pass, but not on the road.

21. You guys are so dang cute. I did not start summer skiing. If I recall, I was doing something uber-cool, like laundry or sorting the huge stack of mail and assorted paperwork on my desk. I truly know how to take advantage of the longest day of the year.

22. Wow! Skiing in summer. Amazing! It was the first day of winter here.

Hugs from Ecuador,
    Kathy

23. Our summer starts the first of April. Don’t remember what we did. Yours looks like fun, though.

24. You guys have the best time..

25. barbtaub says:

Clown skimming, gaper duds, and pig noses? Nope, my first day wasn’t even close. You win.

26. That was my first laugh of the day. Good post.

27. Clown skimming. . .LOL What a phrase. Loved the toned down version of the gaper gear as well.