Truth is Stranger than Fiction

“Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t.”
-Mark Twain

While writing my book, I made the plot as plausible as possible, even though it delves into the  paranormal. Readers will buy a few coincidences, but not a book full of them. What happened to me could never be included in a novel. It’s just too crazy. I hesitated to blog about it.

My first annual cancer tests approached. Both my OB-Gyn and my oncologist were concerned about my thyroid and ordered a lab test. Life has its ups and downs. I prayed for a sign that everything would be okay.

I have a few crosses and made an appointment to have them blessed. My favorite had been purchased with other silver jewelry at an auction long ago. The cross is very reflective and has an aquamarine set in the center. After it was blessed, I fastened it to my bracelet. Cool! I’d never worn a cross.

Danny and I prepared for a weekend trip. Packing proved a breeze since we would only be away for two nights. I asked him what time we should leave in the morning. He thought 7:00 AM would be early enough. He handed me the itinerary and I never looked at the time of departure, but noticed the pre-TSA endorsement. This time he got it and I didn’t. I’m such a shady character.

After waking at 5:30 AM and getting ready to leave for the airport, I looked at our departure time. He had misread it.

“Our flight leaves at 8:38!”

We sped out the door. Danny threw my purse in the back of the car as I jumped into the driver’s seat. Our chances of making this flight were slim to none. I knew I had forgotten something and mentioned it on the forty-five minute drive to the airport. I was relieved to feel my phone in my back pocket.

DIA

Temporary parking closest to the terminal would save us time. We had to run. Danny carried a bag and golf clubs. I would check my small suitcase and carry my heavy computer bag. We took the elevator and then raced to Southwest’s curbside check-in. The attendant thought we would make it. I grabbed the receipt for the for our bags and ran inside after Danny. While riding the escalator down to security, I realized I didn’t have my driver’s license. I swung around an searched for an escalator back up. I would have to take the elevator. I imagined someone had already picked up my license. I was screwed. I yelled to Danny, “I lost my driver’s license!”

“I’ve got it!” he shouted back.

Thank God. He joined the pre-TSA line and would run to gate C-49 to tell them I was close behind.

When I finally made it to security, I checked my back pocket and pulled out a pen. My phone was gone! I either dropped it on the way, or it slipped out in the car.

I bolted. With my heavy bag slung over my shoulder and silver flip flops that cut the tops of my feet, I sprinted back to the car. I was afraid to look. The front seats were empty. I’d left it at home or lost it while running to my flight. I didn’t have time to dink around, and yet, here I was.

I raced through security and then down to the train. Of course, I had to go to Terminal C, the farthest away. I blew past everyone and ran up the escalator. I sprinted by everyone on the moving sidewalk. I looked at all the numbers and couldn’t find my gate.

Then I heard my name over the loudspeaker, “Susan Lindau. Please report to Gate C-49, immediately.”

I ran to C-39 and asked the attendant, “Where’s C-49?”

“I’m sorry ma’am. It’s on the opposite end of the terminal.”

Soaked with sweat and exhausted, I continued my sprint through the main concourse to the other side of the terminal. Of course it was at the far end. Danny was standing in front of the gate. I made it!

Somewhere along the way, I inhaled someone’s sweater fuzz. I tried to cough it out. When I entered the plane I said, “I’m so sorry everyone! Thanks for waiting for me!”

I sat down in the last available seat and kept coughing. That little fuzz tickled. The man next to me was a retired surgeon. He was very concerned and thought I was hyperventilating or having an asthma attack. “I started running a few weeks ago. I’m in great shape. I inhaled something.” The flight attendant brought me a cup of water.

Then I glanced at my bracelet. While sprinting like a maniac through the airport for a couple miles, my cross had fallen off! I was so bummed and I told him, “I can do without my phone, but I just had that cross blessed.”

“Someone else needed a sign and found it,” he said. I smiled and thought I could also use a sign.

When I told my story over the weekend, others agreed sometimes we lose things so others can benefit.

I called my son, Kelly, who house-sat for the weekend. He ran upstairs to my office where I had charged my cell the night before.

He giggled and said, “It’s right here chillin’ on the floor.”

When we returned on Sunday, I stopped in lost and found. The man checked his computer, but couldn’t find anything fitting my  description. He handed me a card with a website where I could fill out a form and a phone number to call.

The next day, I ran several errands. I attended a class in Denver that evening. Tuesday, I played tennis and set my racket on the passenger seat. Afterward, I checked the fuel indicator. I was driving on fumes.

I remembered the card as I pulled into the gas station. I still needed to email and call the airport about my cross! As I stopped in front of the pump, my racket slipped off the seat to the floor. I gasped. My cross sat right in the center of the passenger seat. While typing these words, I got goosebumps, again.

Try setting something like a book or a purse on top of a surface without looking at it first. Really. Try it. It’s unnatural, right? How did I not see it the ten times I had set my purse on the passenger seat during the last few days? Danny must have sat right on it.

How did the cross get there anyway? It was across the crack, not in it. If I’d found it on the floor, I wouldn’t have been so stunned. I had never sat or reached across the passenger seat before losing it. Remember, my purse was in the back of the car. The irony? I was thinking it may be sitting in lost and found at the airport when the racket fell to the floor.

Everyone has their own belief system. To me, this was a sign.

Could I work this into the plot of a novel? No. It’s too ridiculous.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Even though I was in shock and began to cry, I had my wits about me and took a few pictures.

cross

Crazy or what?

My cancer test results came back on Monday. Everything was normal, including my thyroid. YAY!

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Truth is Stranger than Fiction

1. Pingback: Traveling North by Plane, Car, Boat, Bike, Foot, and Hooves | Susie Lindau's Wild Ride

2. townpearl says:

kindly please follow this blog its all about today’s fashion…

3. Great news about the all-clear! And what an amazing adventure with the airport and cross. It’s true – truth IS stranger than fiction! I suspect novelists have to peg back a bit…

4. Yay! You have the best luck, and the best stories. Go Susie, go :)

5. So true how truth is stranger than fiction. My heart rate increased while reading this post. Let me catch my breath! I’m glad you made your flight and got to meet David and his wife, so glad you found your cross, and than God your tests came back negative! Take care, Susie.

6. Lena says:

2 days ago in Paraguay in walks into my bus a girl who spoke fluent English, in a country that NO ONE speaks English in and delivers me a message – “There are no buses going back to the city tonight, you have to get off and catch the last one, that will be here in 5 minutes” .. if it wasn’t for her, I’d be sleeping somewhere outside that night (my money and cards were at hotel) … this story is great timing for me )) … oh, and for some weird damn reason, I could never wear a cross.. because I always lost it…

7. I feel you here sister. I fly a lot and my plane is always at the opposite ened of the damn terminal. I’m also panicked that I forgot my phone or lost my wallet. They are usually tucked into a zipper compartment somewhere in my carry on bag and I forget where. I have done the jog of sweat to a plane too!

Now you got me caughing up fuzzballs too.

8. That’s wonderful news, Susie. I’m so pleased for you.
    It’s a funny thing, that invisibility cloak. You can look at the same thing over and over and not see what is right there and then suddenly it’s there. Not as uncommon as you think, but very special.

That has happened to me before. I couldn’t find my camelback. I looked in the closet where it should have been first then tore the house apart. I looked every where several times. Months later, I walked into the closet and there it was. WHAT????

9. You got someone riding shotgun with you – that’s for sure.
    Perhaps a cosmic grin, too. People, silly creatures, are only secure when they can see and hold in hand? Oh, yes, definitely a plot (of multiple sorts)
    Cheers and congrats – for all of it.
    (That’s the best airport in the world as far as I’m concerned – not only the location and architecture, the people, too. Somehow things always work out there …must be the mountain magic helping out there?)
    (Oh, you do know once you tune in to this sort of stuff, it shows up more?…warning. warning WIll Robinson. It’s the great adventure and we are all just riding the waves)

Thanks Phil! I agree. We humans think we know it all and yet there is so much we don’t understand. All I can say is, “Whoa!”
      Putting out positive vibes always wins. That’s just how I roll anyway.
      We are flying out again soon, but this time we’re leaving 3 hours early!!!!

10. Truth is stranger than fiction and it’s usually more entertaining. Speaking of which, I’m truly happy to hear you’re doing so well!

Thanks 1point! It was a huge relief. The strangest stuff happens to me and yet I am always shocked! Maybe someday, I’ll be all, “Of course. I expected this to happen, because nothing surprises me anymore….”
      Doubt it!!!!

That was an awesome story. I can’t believe it was on the seat this whole time. What a trip! And that talk that the surgeon had with you on the plane about maybe someone else needing it was pretty good advice I thought. I’ve heard that before, supposed to make you feel better about losing something, but it doesn’t always work. Anyhow, so glad you found it and everything ended well ;)

12. Denise Hisey says:

Congrats on your test results, Susie! Wonderful news!!
    Your escapades are hilarious; keep sharing them!

13. “Sometimes we lose things so others can benefit.” What a lovely way to look at it. There’s someone out there benefitting from the dozens of socks that I’ve lost in the laundry over the years. (It’s always the socks that go missing.) :)
    I’m so glad to hear that your tests came back normal!

Thanks Jackie! I was so relieved. I had worried since last year! They didn’t test for other cancers… gulp… I can fully breathe now.
      As for those socks, maybe they hold the key to teleportation. They’re probably way ahead of us!

14. Definitely signs. And I believe in them. I think God sends them to us…so it sounds like he was sending you a dual message. Have a little faith…and it’s all going to be okay! :-)

Exactly! It was pretty powerful with the timing of it. I didn’t go into all the details, but I never sat in the passenger seat, my purse was in the back and I had looked for my cell phone….. Really crazy! Since then, everything has worked out amazingly well!
      Great to “see” you Kitt! Thanks!

15. Widdershins says:

Excellent news on your thyroid!!! :D

And that cross? It was just shy. Didn’t want anyone to see it until it was ready to be seen … and it was probably hanging with all those single socks that also have a bad case of the shys!

16. Michelle says:

God speaks to us in so many amazing ways, and the bottom line is He can do anything He wants. The logical part of me says it was there all the time and the racket dislodged it from the base of the seat/back. The rest of me knows that it could have been anywhere else but that seat (or nowhere at all) until the moment God wanted you to have it back. Either way, He moved that cross.

I’m so glad to hear your good test results. Puts being late or even missing a flight into perspective, doesn’t it? :)

I agree. To me, this was as shocking as seeing a ghost in broad daylight.
      I didn’t realize how I’d been stressing out about the results. After being diagnosed last year, a thought nagged that maybe cancer was someplace else too. I had to wait over a year to find out! I’m so excited!
      Thanks Michelle!

17. wow wow wow..
    The run in the airport I have done many times.. but the cross. Divine intervention..my friend.

18. If you had lost anything else, I’d say kiss it good-bye, but a cross – not so much.

I love that story and I’m so glad everything worked out the way it should. Did you recover your phone?

19. To borrow a Shakespearean title, all’s well that ends well. BTW, our visit is the subject of my blog tomorrow.

20. Great story thanks.

21. I’m very glad that your thyroid is healthy, your phone was home on charge and your cross was in the car. I don’t find any of this that strange because when we hurry, that’s always the perfect time to lose, misplace, not notice or forget things. Now that you have your cross, I think that’s a sign to take hightail it over to a jeweler and have it welded onto your bracelet.

22. I love this story, Susie! Things like this that happen to real people are always so puzzingly creepy (in the best way of course!) and definitely stranger than fiction. Thanks for sharing and I’m so happy everything worked out. :)

Thanks Jessica!
      It was very shocking. I thought I’d never see it again and there it was. I forgot to mention that I drove and was never in the passenger seat!!
      I am so relieved about the test. :)

23. What an amazing story. Things like this happen all the time in life. We only need to be open to seeing them as something other than a coincidence. Thanks for sharing, Susie!

24. Great News Sweetie :) You are certainly on a wild ride and living the crazy life! Happy Hump Day.

25. My mother has always said she should write a book, but no one would believe it’s true!

I never asked on FB…is your book about your experiences with cancer, or is it fiction?

The book I just finished is a paranormal thriller. Eventually, I will put together my Boob Report book based on my blog posts.
      Your mom and I could exchange a lot of crazy stories!
      Thanks Dayanara!

26. jan says:

Wonderful news all around! You are truly blessed! So happy you made your flight!!! xo, jan

27. dmswriter says:

Oh, yes, I’m all about signs, too! And you’re right – all your wacky running around and dashing from one of the terminal to the other would never be believable in a book, but life certainly doesn’t work that way. I’m happiest that your test results are so great! Whatever happened to the fur ball?? ;)

Thanks D! I was so relieved they came back normal.
      Running to the end of the terminal and not being able to find the gate, then hearing my name over the loudspeaker was like a movie! Ridiculous. :)
      It took a while, but my throat finally stopped tickling. It had to be a fiber or something.

28. joehoover says:

Glad it’s good news all round! Though I’m pretty worn out just reading about your race to the airport! being late for a flight is a recurring nightmare :-)

29. claywatkins says:

Truly wonderful news, glad you found everything you couldn’t find when you needed it! though, I think the cross was there the entire time you just couldn’t see it, I like your seatmates explanation and Twain is correct, sometimes the things we experience are beyond explanation, we just have to accept that someone is looking after us. Wishing you a great week…Clay

I know. The position of it was remarkable. There’s a big seam. You would think a part of if would fallen into it, but it lay across. So very unbelievable and yet there it was!
      Have a great week, my friend! Thanks Clay!

Great writing Susie! Glad you have your cross back and you are clear too. Amen!

31. I am out of breath, reading! Love the happy ending.

32. Damn!!! I’m all about signs … and I got a flock of goosebumps with this story. Glad all was well with your tests : )

Thanks Lisa! I wasn’t sure if I should post this, but it’s the truth. I would love to be able to shut off the worry, so I ask for signs to calm me down. This one was like seeing a ghost!

33. Austin says:

Great news and great story. I’ve always believed in signs and fate…

34. Great news Susie delighted for you – sorry to read of the sweater fuzz though – i have developed a phantom furball in sympathy.