“Red sky at morning gives sailors first warning.” This photo was taken today!
A blustery Rocky Mountain wind pummeled our house all night and is still thrashing our trees causing their remaining leaves to tumble like autumnal rain. A change in the weather is coming.
Meteorologists have been predicting this storm like salivating dogs staring through the window of a butcher shop, or better yet, like snowbirds drooling over brochures of Mexican cruises. It was in the 70’s yesterday and we’ll plunge to a high of 15 by Wednesday. I have one more day to pick apples, close vents in unused rooms, and get acclimated to winter temps before our first significant snowfall arrives.
Five fast and easy ways to get acclimated before the arctic mass descends from the north.
- Wear a t-shirt and shorts and take a walk outside even if the temperatures don’t rise above 40 degrees.
- Stand in front of your freezer with the door open while wearing your bathing suit. Count to hundred. (Ten sets)
- Fill your bathtub with cold water then throw in a bag of ice. Now take the plunge. (Count to 50)
- While wet and naked, open the windows in your bedroom and air dry.
- Eat a pint of ice cream in two minutes.
If all of these ideas fail, I’ll bring my long underwear to bed with me so I can insulate myself before climbing out from under my six comforters on Wednesday morning.
Are you ready for winter?
Update: Meteorologists predicted a high of 63 degrees today. I just looked up from writing another 2000 words for NaNoWriMo and it’s snowing! I’ll throw on a t-shirt and take that walk…